1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting Ford V. Chevy

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Swinn, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Swinn

Swinn Member

Does anyone know which is easier to mount a western plow on Ford or chevy? I just purchased a 7.5Ft ultra mount pro plow for my F150 from a western dealer which happens to be a chevy dealer. They have a nice shop and lots of parts inventory. I am just curious if there is any really big difference in installation. The mounting gear looks like it is easier for the Ford. (less Drilling and aligning) They deal with brand new trucks all the time so I think it will be a nice neat installation when completed. No one wants to buy a brand new truck that is hacked.

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

The mounting of the push bar aka:"carton" is about the same for both.
    Hands down the headlight wiring on the GMs is easier .........
    Mostly plug n' play because GM has pigtails already from the factory
    on their plow prep. equipped trucks.

Anyhoo..The Western plow is a sturdy hard workin' unit !
    ...............geo :drinkup:

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

all depends what model GM. The HD 2500 with an ultra mount is the easiest to install without any drilling or bumper removal, remove tow hooks, place mount in place and install 4 bolts per side. The F-150 reqiures bumper removal and some drilling (1/2" holes). As for electrical, if its a relay system the ford is the easiest, if its the IM its prety much the same for all trucks, just plug it all in.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

CRASH........Your right.........The GM push bar just sorta clamps
    on the frame on the NBS 2500s. (Just eyeballed mine)
    Looks like with big U bolts ????????

My OBS GM required drilling and such............Flame wrench for
    removal..............LOL!