1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting flatbed on 96 F350, gap & bolts???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Flyboy77, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I'm mounting a Flatbed on my 96 F350 SRB truck. Sample attached, 4x4 is temporary, will use the tubing as seen with the angle cuts.

1. How big should the gap be between the cab and the bed?

2. When bolting on plates to the frames (bed & truck) to hold the bed on should I use Grade 8 bolts or Grade 5?
    I read on the interwebs that Ford Outfitters recommends no thicker than 1/4" plate, so I'll be using 1/4" plate. Also read that they recommend no holes bigger than 1/2" drilled into the frame, so I'll use bolts smaller than that, probably 3/8". But wasn't sure if I should have some chance that they might shear if it takes a large hit as opposed to jacking the frame.

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Throw some hinges on the back, get a scissor and a hyd. pump and make it dump. You will be glad you did.
    See my sig.
  3. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I'd use the space between the tire and bed as a guide and 6 or 8 half inch grade 5 bolts.
  4. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I meant the gap between headache rack and cab, to allow frame to flex and bed not to contact cab. My apologies for lack of clarity.
  5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

3" or so. That is what mine is.
  6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i normally set 3 or 4 inch gap between cab and bed. do not use 3/8 bolts, they are too small. use 1/2 inch grade 5 or better bolts in the existing bed mount holes.
  7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Drills holes down through the flat bed? I don't think so. Most flat beds are mounted with plates and some with large u bolts.

I used 6 3/8" plates with 4 5/8" bolts per plate. 2" from the cab.

8. tjctransport

since the flat bed is going to be 3 inches too narrow to fit on the pickup frame unless it was made for that frame, i would use bolts through the adapter plates, or custom bend a set of u-bolts.
  9. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

Thanks all!
    Yes it was made for a cab and chassis and mine is SRB. So I'm using C-channel as a spacer on the bed frame to make it even with outside of truck frame rail and will use plate and bolts. The extra C channel spacer will also be how it rests on the truck frame with 3" tube spacer. I'll probably us thick rubber mats or wood for supports in the middle where the pallet of salt will be.
  10. subydude

subydude Junior Member
    from RI

I mounted my flatbed with some home made "u-bolts"... threaded rod, some 1/4 inch plate on top and bottom, lock washers and nuts. Simple but it works.

Take advantage of the body being off to undercoat the chassis. Hit the crossmembers and shackle area really well. Also one thing i didnt do with mine was undercoat the bottom of the flat bed. I bought mine brand new and didnt think it was necessary but the more i think about it i should have. Its not super thick and plenty of hiding spots for debris and water
  11. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

flyboy, i have 2 '93 c/c trucks with flatbed dumps and can send you pics of where all my plates and such are at if you need to help on mounting your bed.
  12. tjctransport

crew cab frames are 3 inches narrower than pickup frames. so that will do him no good.