1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting bolts broken off!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by leigh, Dec 19, 2013.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Had a situation with plow tues night (long story, sad ending) 2004 chevy 2500 hd, 810 plow pre dd. the 2 front 1/2 mounting bolts both broke off on the pass side. These are the ones that are near the tow hooks the ones that are the most forward .Do I have to take off the whole mount to replace? Looks like on the parts drawing that there is a u shaped piece that is placed inside the frame ? Is this the old or new style mount shown? I'll take a better look today, just want to go intoit informed. (cutting torches last resort) Thanks

PS if your pump fails and you can't put pin in the hold up hole, it's probably not a good idea to drive 5 miles on the road with plow down and the wings fully extended :cry::help:

Attached Files:

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

If you have bolts breaking off do you really need to ask of you should take the mount off?

Do it right, remove the mount, inspect it and replace ALL the bolts, nuts, and washers!

3. leigh

from CT

I finally caught up on my sleep and thinking a little more clearly! Took a look today and saw that the bolt that goes through the tow hook is broken off. Also the bolt head that is underneath the mount that is threaded into the rear tail of the hook is gone. No brainer, start fresh,7 yr old plow has served me well with few problems. New motor on route and new pump should freshen her up! Replaced some of the pins and that tightened up the power hitch.Should paint the undercarriage while it's off also

plow 010.jpg

4. leigh

from CT

I'm on it!

plow frame 001.jpg

5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Leave the tow hooks off, upgrade to 1/2" grade 8 bolts, washers and top lock nuts rather than the 10mm bolts used in the tow hooks.

6. SnowGuy73

Good work!

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't use an impact wench for final tightening, tighter is not always better, take the time to torque them properly so they are not loose but not over tightened. Slamming them down tight with a 1/2 air gun can cause internal fractures to the fasteners.

8. SnowGuy73

Good advice!

9. leigh

from CT

All set, stripped it, 3 coats of epoxy primer, endless coats of my super magnetron topcoat with gloss hardener, torched and drilled out broken bolts, reinstalled with grade 8's.

frame 007.jpg

frame 003.jpg

plow frame 011.jpg

frame 001.jpg

10. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

We have gone back over all are trucks and removed the tow hooks and replaced it with a piece of 3/8 steel 2x2 with a 1/2" hole drilled in it. Haven't had a problem since.

11. SnowGuy73

Is that the correct mount for the 2004 2500/3500? It looks like that is the mount for the 99-02 2500/3500.

12. leigh

from CT

Dealer installed in 2006. Lines up perfectly when I remounted.

13. SnowGuy73

It looks like the light tower mounts are the shorter ones.

Maybe its just the picture.

14. leigh

from CT

Cheap cell phone pics. Even makes me look overweight, balding and not as good looking as my wife says I am!

15. SnowGuy73

Haha, I know how that goes!

16. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

You are correct, either mount will fit, but the later version has a little more bumper clearance, IIRC.

17. SnowGuy73

Ya I couldn't tell from the picture but the light mounts look to be really tight to the bumper.