1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting bolts - advice needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowbie, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

I picked up a used Meyer ST-7.5 with the ez mount classic setup to go onto my F150. It came directly off a similar truck so I have everything needed except the mounting bolts to bolt it to the frame. The guy kept them to put his skid plate back on.

My question is what to use for bolts to attach it to the frame. I'm gonna attach a pic of the holes. It mounts to the square holes shown, not the small holes next to the square holes. When you buy the kit originally from Meyer it comes with something called a stud bar which is basically two studs that come through those holes and they are attached to eachother inside the frame I assume for strength and so they dont spin when you crank down the nuts. It must slide down the inside of the frame and pop through (i have some access from the front). Anyway, to order the stud bars from Meyer will cost $40 each (x2) plus $25 shipping and thats not even with the nuts.

Can I just buy high grade bolts somewhere and use those instead? If so, what grade and how do I keep them from spinning around when tightening? I do have limited access to get them down inside from the front of the frame and pull them through.

Thanks for any advice!

truckmount1.jpg

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Go to a good shop that install trailer hitches and they should have for purchase the bolts you need with nuts that have tabs on the to keep from spinning and some even come with thin steel rods attached to them so that you can position and hold nut inside of frame rail while trying to get nut started then twist off rod when done.

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Sure you could use grade 5 bolts with a few flat washers to distribute the load acrossed the inside of the frame section.
    Or drill out a 2"x3/8 piece of flat stock to match your mount and fish that into the frame and have the two bolt come down from the top and run the nuts up with an impact gun.
    :rolleyes: John........................

4. Tarkus

Yes you can but prefab nuts and bolt for this task with tabs and washers already attached can make it go real easy putting nuts and and washer inside of boxed frame rails and worht the extra coin. I have used them more than once and it beats the heck out using fingers inside frame rail and "makin faces" while doing it to put a little "english" on the nut to get it on. For what it is worth. I have seen and used spacer plates with "rods" attached to them also to help fish them inside of frame rails.

5. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

Can you explain what you mean by 'tabs'?

I also called a trailer dealer and they said they had nothing, although it was only one place that was local.

Thanks for the responses.

6. Tarkus

By "tabs" I mean that the nut has ears (or what ever you want to call them) welded to nut to keep it for turning inside the frame rail without a wrench holding it and you use the "rod" on it to position it inside the frame to begin with. Do you follow me? I have used these things several times and a good hitch shop would know what you are talking about too when yo went looking for them. You want to call a place that installs hitched on all types of vehicals and they will have them but you might have to "quiz" them because it is kinda a trade secret so to speak so that you cannot do it yourself and some this than honest shops my not volunteer the info on them or their availibilty.

7. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

Got it. I'll try to stop somewhere in person tomorrow.
    It's a lot harder to say 'no' in person than it is over the phone.
    The other day a Meyer dealer give me an entire hardware bag for the earlier generation
    fords for free just to try to help me out. Unfortunately, none of it was useable which we both expected.