1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting A V Box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Chuck Smith, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The last time we got to salt, one of our subs got a new 4 yd V box spreader. They put it in a single axle 5 yd dump. Loaded it up and started spreading. About 1/2 way through one of the lots, I see the salt truck coming my way, and then he just stopped. There was no obvoius reason to stop. I took a ride over to see why he stopped, and at the same time he started going again. I could see he was on the phone. He turned into one of the rows, and I saw what the problem was. The nearly full V box in the back had tipped over to one side. I pulled up to talk to the driver. The first thing he said was "Our %#&)^^ welder said the straps would hold it. I knew they wouldn't, I said we needed chains". Now it would take a loader to upright it again. He got out of the truck, and we both walked around the back to look at the spreader, and make sure it wasn't leaking fluids. It was wedged in there pretty good. Then I saw what I think was the real problem. The spreader was just sitting in the body. There was no wood bolted to the bottom of the spreader. Even small 1 yard V boxes I see with at least a 2x4 bolted across the bottom. With the 4 yard, I would expect at least two 4x4's, if not 3 bolted across the bottom to help stabilize it in the body. Heaped up, he probably had close to 5 yards in the spreader, up that high, the straps couldn't handle the load. I saw them, and they were pretty heavy 2" ratchet binders on one side.... on the other side, they had fallen off somewhere. One of the pickups found them later on, and the straps weren't broken. So I assume they let go somehow.

So I guess the moral is to use chains and ratchet chain binders to mount your spreaders.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

great advice chuck, it could turn into a mess and also a good safety issue.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have two oak 2x4s bolted to the bottom of my 2 yd sander on a flatbed. Also 2" straps on each corner. I found that the straps loosened after about ten hours. So much that one came completely loose and I could see it in the rearview mirror. Lucky I caught it before I had the same problem. Ratchets still worked well and haven't had any problem since, so I just figured it was "settling". I would think that with that much weight (five yards) relying on straps is not the best idea.
  4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

ijust bought a vbox and it had 2x4s under it in then chained down. the problem i have with the 2x4s is it makes some excess salt fall all over the bed
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just checked my Vbox and another strap was hanging loose. I'll be going to chain binders.
  6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know what "the law" is in your area, but here in Ontario I believe that if you're using chains to secure something in your truck, they need to be at least Tranport Grade 70. Granted, that's from my experience pulling a flatbed trailer, not sure if it's a big deal with a spreader in the back of a truck.

Just make sure you get the ratchet style chain binders as opposed to the over-centre (a.k.a. "bear trap") type.
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Every set of directions I have ever seen for a v-box call for it to be bolted to the floor of the bed and then strapped in as well. I know of very few people who do bolt them in though. It is a good idea to put a block in the front as well so that the spreader does not slide forward into the back of the cab.
  8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I bolted a six inch channel to the back of mine and welded 1" pins to the ends of it so they would get clamped in by the tailgate dogs. Then I welded two D rings to the dump floor in the front corners and use 3" rachet straps to cinch the front down. It's never come loose in 5 years use.

My buddy has heavy gauge threaded rod and turnbuckles that are pinned to the sideboard pockets of his truck, that seems to work too.
  9. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

In my real job (cop) you would be surprised at the amount of times things come falling,rolling,spinning,breaking off trailers and trucks.

Sometimes it is just the bad luck where they had to swerve for other traffic/hazard. You would hate to see some of the things
    that happen when things go flying, and most things come
    forward!!!!! (good idea for headache racks).

One thing that everyone may want to check is that even if
    you are mounted through the flat bed, double check everyonce
    in a while the mounts underneath, some are made from wood
    and easily crack or simply wear out from moisture, or the flatbed
    wood worn out.

Finally, whatever mount you have should protect you, and made
    to stop the entire load even if the vehicle rolls, especially if you
    have lots of steep terrain.

Once saw a V-box mounted on a 1-ton flatbed (loaded) and
    only hooked down with bungee cords