1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mounting a poly edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shady Brook, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I am trying to mount the edge, and want to get it right the first time. Dino said to not have it extend more then 2" beyond the mold board. If I turn the steel edge over in the front, that only gives me a 7/8 overhang on the front edge. Is this enough to get optimum performance from the poly edge? Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The steel edge is supposed to act like a big washer or plate to sandwich the U edge to the moldboard. What kind of plow is it? I think that it will be fine. If you want find another plower and get a more worn piece of steel. From what I hear the U edges wear very slowly and you should have plenty of room.

Incidently I am not sold on them yet. I would be interested in learning more. Dino I did not get to you at the BBQ. Would like to have you send me some more info.

Snow is coming!!!
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I have a Western plow. I wonder if I could have it two inches below the front plate of steel, and unsupported in the rear to maybe 3.5 inches, or this would be two much flexibility in the rear. Measure twice drill once...:D

I am dying to go put her on!

4. RB

RB Senior Member

Nothing does a better all around job than a steel edge -- period! The only time a poly edge out performs a steel edge is plowing slush at 40 degrees.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That has been my thought. A quiet edge is worthless to me if it is not clearing snow. No matter what I think it will pick up loose stone and grass. Maybe I am wrong.
  6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I just got one also... let me tell ya, this thing WILL move snow just fine. It's 1.5inches thick!!! It's very rigged, and I believe will outperform a steel edge in every way except for scraping ice... which is not what I want to be doing with my truck anyway... that's what I bought a spreader for.

Just my thoughts...
  7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I understand the bennefits of the U-Edge.

However I also understand a little phyiscs. The U-Edge is thicker than a steel edge.

So lets do a little math.

The formual for pressure is Force / Area.

Now I have a 8' long 3/4" thick steel edge. With is not important for this calculation.

8 feet * 3/4" = an area of = 6 so now we have our area

Lets say the average 8' plow weighs 500 lbs. Again exact numbers are not required for this calculation.

The Force is equal to the 500 lbs times the force of gravity 9.8

so our force is equal too : 500 * 9.8 = 4900

This is for the steel edge.
    So now our pressure : 4900 ( Our Force)
    ------- = A Pressure of 816 and 2/3 PSI
    6 ( Our Area )

Now The U Edge:

Again 8' * 1.5" thick = an area of = 12 (note the are is twice as much)

Lets say we have the same 500 lbs plow, with same force of gravity. So our force is still 4900

4900 ( our force)
    -------- = a Pressure of 408 and 1/2 PSI. Half of the steel edge.
    12 ( our area)

So the thicker edge is giving you a lower pressure, so the amout of force placed on the packed snow is less.

Now my thought process might not even be correct, I haven't the last time I was in physics was 1983. However I just can't see how the laws of physics don't hold true for this subject.

Now the snowway plow makes things even tougher, because it adds down pressure. Even with the added pressure, the steel will put more pressure to the snow, then the polly. In the physics world.

Like I said before I could be wrong, this could be one big laugh for someone smarter than myself.

8. RB

RB Senior Member

I don't see what all the hype is about a U-edge. At the end of last season everyone was buying one -- including me.

I used it for about three storms and wasn't impressed. I didn't see any difference between this U-edge and a rubber edge.

the only advantage over a steel edge is the noise factor. But to me only plowing for 6-8 hours at a time, the noise of a steel edge doesn't bother me at all.

I hope the u-edge works great for everyone that has one and I can say I purchased mine for a person on this forum and the transaction was a good experience.

But to me this u-edge is only a minor improvement over a rubber edge.
  9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

The beast is on!

Whether or not it is better or worse then steel at scrapeing, I do not know. If it allows me to do circle drives without ripping the yard to shreads, or to plow a brick driveway instead of using a blower, it will be worth it all. Thanks for all the help Dino! I tried to mount it 1 7/8" below the steel edge, which left me about 3" below the rear, and it hopped pretty bad. It is now 7/8 below the front, and about 2 below the rear mold board.

I am ready for some snow!

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Geoff your thinking was right in line with mine. A thinner edge will get down to the surface. I figure if I got a piece of steel 1.5" thick it would wear slower as well. The way I see it there are some thngs that can not be improved on. I will stay with steel.
  11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well my thought, its based on the laws of physics. Now I am not sure if I remembered what I learned back in 83 correctly or not.

12. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Making my brain smoke at this late hour. Hmmm... I'll take a crack at it.
    Geoff, your post explains to me why the U-edges did not work for me in the ice storm we had last year. I had to bench 1 truck and luckily had a spare plow with steel edge for another truck, and had to rely more on subs with their steel edges. For normal snow situations (all of the other events for last season) I found that the U-edges were a great improvement over the steel. After reading your explanation here is a theory that I come up with (I don't know why they work better, they just do LOL). In the case of normal snow, the downpressure is not the factor. I think that because there is a slight flexibility to the urethane, it conforms to the asphalt better than the rigid steel, which simply glides over it? This is what gives it the squeegee effect & what makes it clear better than the steel edge maybe. I know that on lots that I've done for a few years, the steel edges always left a thin layer of snow in many spots that required a good salting to make sure I had a black & wet situation. When using the urethane in those lots there was less snow left to be salted which saved me time & money. This, plus the other benefits (absorbed much of the abuse for the trucks, less blade tripping, worked well in the few gravel & torn up asphalt situations, wear down much slower than steel, etc.) makes them a good option for me. But just like any product or method any of us are using, they are not for everyone.
    My .02
  13. SlimJim Z71

I think a lot of it depends on the type of plowing you do, and when you get to it. If you get it while it's fresh on the ground... the poly sounds like the better choice. When you're on your last of 200-accounts, and things have been "compacted" a little... steel would probably be the way to go.

One of my main lots is the dealership I work for. It consists of quite a few speed bumps, garage doors (with lips), and pot-holes-a-plenty.... so the poly-edge will most likely be the "cats-meow" this winter. Those speed bumps were quite brutal last year.

Like I said earlier though... I have a spreader to deal with the tough stuff. No more abuse to my truck than I have to.

14. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

what kind of price are we lookin at for the poly edges. i just put on a new steel edge for $51 and some change.

just curious
    Mark K
  15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Seems to me I can always get down to pretty bare asphalt with steel. If it has been packed down then nothing may get through it. OF course this is why we sand and salt.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i to bought a u edge last year,problem i had last year is that i did not offer salting as a service and if we got a storm during the day and i went plowing that evening i found that the u edge could not clean down to asphalt in the compacted traffic lanes. ( i was using a snoway with the down pressure system on)
    yes they are quieter and yes they plow gravel drives and uneven sidewalks much better than a steel edge. (my opinion).
    i have a new plow and i bought salter this year and am not shur if i will put a u edge on it or not.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2001
  17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

A few things to remember:
    Nothing I repeat nothing will shave ice short of the bobcat attachment.
    Hard pack is also very hard to remove.
    I to at times think that the u edge doesnt do as well of a job as steel at scraping, till I leave my parking area that I just plowed, and look at the one across the street and it looks exactly the same.
    I love my u edges, and I believe in them 110%. I have never overblown the benifits, and of the 100 or so I sold last year, I had less than 5 complaints. I think 95% satifaction rate speaks for itself.
    Geoff I cant explain why they work like they do, but they work. Backdragging is unreal, and the fact that I dont beat the truck to he** is worth every dime of the money that they cost.
    They are more pricey than steel, but when you get a product that will last 15x loner thane steel, in the long run it is more cost effective.
    If anyone has ???? call me at 860-859-0739
  18. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

GeoffD: Your formula is correct. You would have half the PSI contacting the ground (in theory). However, there are other factors to consider as well. The angle of attack can and will effect the performance. As far as the PSI, the steel edge will stay fairly close to the same PSI because it is solid and has the same area contacting the ground at all times. To be fair, the PSI of the steel would change slightly since surfaces being plowed are rarely completely flat, causing less of the edge to actually contact the ground.The U edge flexes, so as you are pushing, it curls under (for lack of a better description) and just the formost part contacts the ground giving a higher PSI than when resting.
    The fact that U edges are LOTS more wear resistant than rubber is a major improvement over rubber.
    Shady Brook:
    I couldn't agree more. A good edge should do more than scrape snow and slush. The fact that the U edge will NOT damage any suface is enough reason for clients to choose a contractor that uses U edges over one that uses steel. It is a great selling point to let your clients know that you use a U edge. You could plow thousands of more times over a surface and cause less damge than with a steel edge.
    And those are the spots that can become hard pack or ice patches. And since the surface isn't totally flat, the steel edge will never clean those spots because it can't conform to the surface.
    To sum up my opinion, there are always spots that a steel edge will never scrape clean.. it just can't conform to the surface. On the other hand, a U edge may not always scrape to the surface, but won't always miss spots.
    So there is a higher percentage of times that it works better.
    And hey, it's quieter and virtually can't damage any surface.

That's my 2¢
  19. SlimJim Z71

... and is a LOT less abusive on your truck, which makes the U-edge worth twice that amount.
  20. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

A good way to hedge your bet is if you have more than one truck or plow leave the steel on one. I am going to have a urethane edge on a ten foot Western HW blade so I'll let everyone know how it handles the weight and how it performs. I will still for the moment have a steel on my 7.5 foot Western. I don't see ANY edge being perfect for all applications but I do think the urethane has many more advantages than disadvantages.

Urethane The Cutting Edge Of Cutting Edge Technology.