1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mounting a plow off a dodge on a chevy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intimidator, Aug 9, 2004.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

Just purchased a 8 ft. sno-way lobo v-plow off a 91 Dodge. How much work would it be to mount this on an 85 chevy? Also would a 1/2 ton truck with basically 3/4 ton front spring handle the weight of this plow?

Thanks, Jason
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Jason.........The pushbars will be different.
    You will have to go to the Snowway dealer and buy the correct mount. Or if you have welding and fab skill you could modify the Chevy mount to fit the Dodge.

A new pushbar could run about $500 bucks tho. Sometimes you have to factor that price in when you buy a used unit that came off a different truck.

You also should check/post on the equipment thread here.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Anything can be done, it depends on your skills, equipment, and know-how. If you had to get one modified by a shop it may be prohibitively expensive, so then a pre-made one is the way to go and sell the existing one for what ever you can get for it and put that amount towards the cost.

However, if you are skilled in the shop and have torches and a welder, you can make anything fit. The mount for my BOSS plow is originally from a Ford 1-ton, cut and welded to home made bracketry to fit my GMC (it would need lowering anyways to match my lift). The nice part about custom building one is that you have the option of setting the height to the "ideal" measurement specified by the manufacturer based upon your suspension setup.
  4. intimidator

intimidator Member

Will this plow work on a mid to late 80's Dodge? I forgot we have one back in the weeds with an old meyer plow. About all I know about the truck is it runs and moves and is a 1/2 ton. Will that v-plow be too much for a 1/2 ton? We got the plow for around $600, so even if we did have to buy a new mount, we'd still come out okay. Will this plow have down pressure like the straight blade sno-ways , the plow itself is about 5 years old.

Thanks, Jason
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2004