1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting a mini lightbar

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JeffNY, Oct 25, 2006.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I plan on purchasing the Code3 420 for my truck, its an '07 with the beacon wiring provisions, but how do I mount this thing? I see 3 options, suction/mag, mag, and perm. I don't really want the COOL light on my truck in July, so scratch off perm, I was thinking just the magnet one, but how about the wires? Do I still have to run it in one of my doors?

Thanks.

2. Zippy

Zippy Junior Member

I used to have a 2 rotator beacon on my offroad truck that I had good luck with running the wiring out the 3rd brake light. I just sealed up around the light and left about a 3" pigtail with a connector. When I was offroad I would just pop the light off.

Kevin

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi JeffNY
    If you are talking about a Chevy the wiring is tucked under the headliner on the drivers side. I ran mine out the third brake light opening. I had to take a die grinder and make a notch then painted it. Reinstalled the 3rd brake light and a touch of silcone and I was all set. I have my light mounted to a back rach with a packard electric connector for power. Send me a email at flykelley930@aol.com and I will email you some pictures of the notch.

Regards Mike

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

ok, so I still have to route it out the 3rd brake light. Thing is, roof has those ribs in it, and im not sure how the lights going to stick down to it, i dont really want the wire going all the way up to the front where its flat.

5. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

get a mag mount go to radio shack and get a cigar plug extension and just put it throught your back window .... your only using it in the winter ...

6. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Hey Mike,

I'm installing a "mini edge" in my '06 2500HD. Doesn't the wire in the headliner connect with the button on the dash by the passenger airbag activator? Why would you hook into the third breaklight?

thanks

hillndale

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I think he's saying just go through the 3rd brake light hole, not actually connect to anything in there.

8. flykelley

Jeff is correct I just ran the wire through the 3rd brake light opening. I had to notch the bottom edge for a place for the wire to lay. I then painted the notch reinstalled the 3rd brake light and then used silcion around the wite.

Regards Mike

9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Got mine hard wired to a switch. Ran it through the 3rd brake light. under the headliner.

10. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

I don't know squat about wiring, but a buddy of mine is gonna help me out with my lightbar. I still don't get the 3rd brakelight thing. There's a button in the truck already set up for an external light. Isn't there an entry point at the bottom back side of the cab? I'm miffed on this subject.

Yeh I'm numb on this-- so Duh:dizzy:

hillndale

11. flykelley

Hi Hillndale
    There is no exit point from the factory for the wiring that is part of the snow prep package. There is a switch and wire's but no exit point, you have to do that yourself. That is why I ran it through the opening of the 3rd brake light. It also keeps it nice and clean.

Regards Mike

12. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

Hey Mike,

How's it going. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I e-mailed this link to my wiring guy, so hopefully we can get it right without messing anything up. If they provide the wiring and plug with the snow prep package. One would think there would also be an easy exit for the wiring.

many thanks

hillndale

13. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Hill- you can also drill a hole (cringe) in the roof. I drilled a 1/4" hole to put the wires up to a permanent stobe light. Just be sure to silicone the hole in. doug

14. flykelley

That would make way to much sense, we are talking about GM here.

Regards Mike

15. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Just have mine run down through the sliding rear window, grounded behind the seat and one wire to a switch on the dash run up the trans hump and hidden pretty well.

Id make it as simple as possible if you want to R/R it several times a year. Some guys use a small piece of thin vinyl to protect the top of the cab from scratching as well although I dont and have never had an issue with scratches.

Power unit, cig lighter connections have always given me issues so I dont use those. I melted the plug once,but if yours came with the lighter plug, all you have to do is cut it off and theres your power and ground.

16. tjmahl

tjmahl Member

Snowpow light wiring on GMC

Hey Mike, were you able to locate the wire and snake it out by taking the third brake light lense off? I want to set mine up as you did but don't know how to get to the wire under the headliner?

Thanks
    TJ

17. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

how about a fish tape and some electric tape works great.