1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting a grill guard to a Western mount??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by gotsnow?, Jul 2, 2007.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

(This thread is kind of long, but read on, you'll get a kick out of it.)
    :realmad: My brother was running blue lights (darn Indiana law, red lights would be so much safer) to a fire call early the other morning and hit an eight point buck at about 65 mph! Didn't even get a chance to hit his brakes as it ran out of a knee high corn field after a line of trees... He drives a 97 Chevy 2500 T.D. that sits about as high as my '97 Dodge 1500, all the damage occured about half way up his grill and below.(will try to post photos sometime) Approx. $2000-$3000 worth of damage, and he was planning to by an old 86 Chevy with a plow to help out with this winter... Not now! He had always wanted to buy one of the step style, Ranch Hand (I see them alot on Texas, S.W. trucks) style grill guards for his truck, just never got around to it. If he had had one mounted on the 2500 we both agree it would have taken most to all of the brunt of the damage.
    This got me thinking.....
    Has anyone ever heard or or seen or tried to mount any type of grill guard to their Western truck-side mount in the off season??? Obviously if I was to smack a deer with the plow on during the winter my unimount would just shove the deer off to the side and, I'm guessing would not put a scratch on my truck. However, what can I do to protect my grill/radiator/quarter panels etc in the off season? Any ideas or suggestions would be great! From the grill guards I've seen and installed on previously owned vehicles it'd be close to the same mounting idea; four mount points all below the bumper, I'm guessing it would just stick out from the front of my truck a bit. Thanks for your suggestions and man is this site great, David- :cool:
  2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

What style western mount? I have a uni mount style mount on my truck, with that style it would be a piece of cake to mount one up, just a little fab work.
  3. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Unimount mount, thanks!
  4. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I kinda figured it could be done by a matter of fabbing... However, I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of or knew of a company that already made some sort of go-between-mount for a grill guard. But maybe all I'll just have to do my own fabricating. :dizzy:
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Look at the Fisher site for the ProTube. You could maybe build on that if it weren't large enough for you.

Here you go. It's on the bottom right of that page. I'm on safari right now and it doesn't access everything properly, so maybe you can get a better look at it elswewhere. I measured the gap between the frame spars on an 85 dodge unimount and a 96 dodge minute mount and they are close enough you should be able to make it work with some fabbing.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  6. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Cool! That's a start. I'd obviously like something a little taller to protect my actual grill and headlights, but a bull bar like that would deffinately cut back on some of the damage a deer (or other animal for that matter) would cause. Thanks for the info, David-