1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounting a different plow on the same truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Dec 18, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Just because it is fun to talk about equipment, not because I need/can afford it!:D

Looking at the Ford Factory guidlines for attaching a plow to a superduty, they are pretty specific about where the frame attachments should go.

If I was to ever get enough energy/time would there be a problem switching manufacturers? Right now I have a meyer 8.5 straight blade. What if I wanted to go with a Fisher V or a Blizzard?

My fears are that with my luck the mounts would be ever so slightly different and the frame holes would be overlapping. I couldn't use the holes that the Meyer used.

Anyone have any experience?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

FYI
    The Fisher mount on a SD uses something like 8 bolts on each sideframe. The Meyer uses maybe 4.

3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Mounts

The Blizzard on 1999-current utilizes 3 bolts in the factory holes in the frame. NO DRILLING. I don't think you will over lap and cause more stress points to the frame.

But, don't quote me on that.

Hope I helped.;)

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

On my Super Dutys, the two different plow subframes (Blizzard and Viking) utilize the same mounting points on the trucks. It seems the plow manufacturers follow the truck manufacturers guidelines.

5. bgrover

bgrover Member

When I had my Boss installed on my '96 F250 the dealer said that on the newer trucks it takes 1/2 the time because the use the holes from the factory.