1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mounted Backup Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jklawn&Plow, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Finally got them mounted and wired up. They are pointing out about 5 degrees and aim at the ground about 10 feet behind the truck. I'll adjust after I see where their at with the scow reflecting for better view. These are 35W each Halogen. I included a switch in the Cig lighter space so I can Turn them on when the truck is off or have it driven by the Backup Lights. Used a relay from Mouser, Same as BOSS Song Chuan but without the diode ~$3 ( Which isn't required for lights). Mounted them on the hitch, on a flat spot. Hope they don't get nailed by any debris. The mud guards block the whole tire up to the top of the wheel well so at least I won't be bombarding them will muck.

PC130548.jpg

PC130552.jpg

PC130556.jpg

Attached Files:

2. johnboggs21

johnboggs21 Junior Member
    from MI

i had them like that on my F150 and they got smashed when I backed into a snow pile. Next time Im gonna put them right under the taillights on top of the bumper

3. jklawn&Plow

I figured that might happen, I'm hoping to remove my tailgate so I can see better this year. Hopefully I'll stop just short of the bumper this year. Well they're fused off the backup battery so hopefully if I crank them they want take out the electrical.

4. jklawn&Plow

I did put a metal frame around them made out of the BOSS controller mounting brackets, it might help a little.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

What this project cost you
    I mounted mine on the V box spreader thats only time I need lights when that thing in the back
    Remove ur tailgate will help you see better I have a str8 plow truck we do that to

6. jklawn&Plow

Switch ~$4.99
    Wire- free had it from 1970 my Dad's supply - good copper industrial wire
    Connectors ~$10
    Fuse tap ~$5
    Lights $20
    Fuse ~$4
    Relay ~$4
    Brackets Free
    Wire Wrap- ~$8
    Time - I be very slow first time through a process. But no snow here yet.
    So ~$56 in parts.

7. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I have wrecked plenty of lights in that position. I mount mine here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ever since then I haven't broken a single one. I tapped them into the backup light wire in the trailer harness. Only took a couple minutes and cost under $20 for the lights and 3m Scotchlok taps. I probably used short wires I had hanging around but I could have cut the wires that come with the lights.

8. jklawn&Plow

I suppose they would be safer closer to the wheel and behind the mud flap. Well when they break I'll either cut into the bumber or mount behind the tire mud flap.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Thats cheap I dont know how that one company can sell there back up light kit for 200 Look at one at a dealer just couldnt see 200
    I know there some ppl out there has no clue how do anything

theholycow you found a safe spot nice job