1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mountain Plowing???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kentuckydiesel, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

Hey guys...
    I've been on the site for a while but may be making a big move to Jackson, WY soon and need some advice as that part of the country has a very different snow situation than I've dealt with before.

For years I've plowed for farms and companies I've worked for...started out with my Grandfather's '84 F250/7'6 Western, did a bit of side work with a lifted '79 Dodge I custom mounted a 7'6" Meyer plow on, and even recently bought a '91 F800 dump with a 10' plow and salter(project truck). I also have my class B CDL and have driven some of the largest tri-axles on the road. All that said, I enjoy driving and plow operation, but have never been able to make any sort of steady winter income with a plow due to irregular snowfall here in KY.

If we do move to WY where there are always snow storms and drifts to be pushed around, I am very interested in subbing for someone through the winter.

My plow truck would be my '95 dually crew cab F350. (modifications listed in sig)
    This truck is making a very reliable 325hp to the rear wheels and has upgraded axles/suspension among other things.

What size/type of plow do you guys think this truck, set up as it is, will work best with in deep snow/drift situations.

Does anyone know what sub pay looks like in the mountains?

As I want to have someone lined up to work for before I invest in a plow, what would you reccomend as the best way to approach a snow removal company?

Thanks,
    Phillip

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a 9.5 V blade
    just walk in the door and say HI

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

EDIT: Never mind, thought he was talking about plowing mountain ROADS. A V blade is your best bet, 9 ft or bigger, nothing below. Look at Boss.

Big thing is that at full angle, you want to be throwing snow well away from your wheels, especially in the mountains. You will also want excellent snow tires, possibly studded, with full chains around.

4. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

That's quite a move, Have you looked into the local economy? Jackson's one of the most expensive places to live in the Country! When I moved to the Colorado mountains I thought I would do well snowplowing! but the fact is everyone and there mother has a snowplow, especially when you live in a place that get 300-400" of snow a year.

I live in a ski resort town as well, I can honestly tell you residential snowplowing accounts bring about $25-35 per driveway and most won't let you plow till there is 6" or more on the ground. If you Sub for a commercial company with your truck and plow, pay all fuel and insurance costs, you can make around $75 an hour. More if you have a sander or ice control equipment.

5. Kentuckydiesel

Yea, while I'd prefer to run a Western, I've been looking at the 9'2" Boss-V XT lately as there aren't any Western dealers closer than a couple hours away from the Jackson area. How about wings? Think they'd be a good idea?
    And sanders??? I've been told that it's not a huge deal out there, but seems some like sand....as opposed to KY where you don't do anything unless you're salting too.

We're actually looking at moving for a caretaker position on a ranch outside Jackson which includes a house, salary, and health ins...but would also allow me time to make outside income. The owners are flying us and one other couple in this weekend for a final interview to decide who they are going to hire. We've sure got our hopes up!

Thanks for the help!

-Phillip

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Get the Boss and don't look back. Boss is now what Western used to be and then some. Wings are very helpful too, definitely a good idea if your lot can support them.

7. Kentuckydiesel

Haha, I keep hearing that.

You mean if the lot size is big enough for wings?

-Phillip

8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Hey KY diesel, welcome to the site. Jackson is a nice place. Beautiful country. I don't know much about the plowing there though. I will try to get ahold of a friend up that way and see what he knows. Would love to see pics of your truck, My first truck was a 95 cc 4x4 drw with a western hauler bed :}. Sure miss that truck.
    Robert

9. Kentuckydiesel

That would be great!
    Here are a few pics of the truck...unfortunately I haven't taken too many since I put the new mirrors and alcoas on in. I plan to put a western a western hauler bed on in just as soon as I find one at the right price. This truck was 2 wheel drive out of the factory but after half a winter in my first non-4x4 truck I decided that wasn't going to work for me. Converted it the next summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Jackson area plowing

Kentucky D
    I hit Jackson and the surrounding area a couple times a winter to hangout w/friends and ride sleds. Most of the parking lots are done with tractors and snow is hauled off, most driveways in the area are blown with a rotary mounted on a tractor, skid or even the occasional Mercedes Unimog. Sure there's pickups with plows running around but they aren't the ideal tool of choice.
    I don't want this to come off the wrong way, although you have a nice truck the duals and crew cab will cause you problems. With the town being in a valley it seems like very piece of flat ground is used up and things are tight. This is true even with a SRW crew cab. The homes in the surrounding area outside of town either are off of switchback roads or out in sage country where it drifts in.
    Personally if I was in your shoes I'd head up and get a bead on what's going on up there this winter before making any equipment investments. You make find you're better off operating someone else's rig.
    Make sure when you visit to hit the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar to saddle up to the bar and Bubba's BBQ for ribs.
    If you do decide to make the move you'll be treated to one heck of a party in late March, It's called the World Championship Snowmobile Hillclimbs, they race up a double black diamond ski run at Snow King. Very good time and the town explodes with beer thirsty sledders. I gone to this event every year for the past 15 years and always look forward to the next year.
    Here's a couple pic's from last years festivities, they really don't do the hill any justice.

jackson 2010 003.jpg

jackson 2010 013.jpg

11. Kentuckydiesel

Buff...thanks for the info. We actually just got back from Jackson a few hours ago. My wife used to live there through high school and still has a bunch of friends we visit with when we're there. I did get the chance to talk to a few friends while there and they are checking on some options for me.
    They said a bunch of guys use power V plows just like the setup I have been planning on, in conjunction with all the equipment you listed above. My hope would be to sub for someone, allowing me to use my truck without any further equipment expenses up front. I do realize that my truck is awfully long for that area, but I have been driving big trucks in some of the tightest areas imaginable for years and pretty well have it down. I also realize the duals are some issue in the snow...that truck has never been as good as my old SRW trucks, but I could always pull the duals off and put single rear wheels on for the winter with no ill effects, especially with the rear end weighted well.

As for all the fun stuff there...I have already experienced a bunch of it and love that place. Sure hope things work out in our favor!

-Phillip

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Phillip sounds like like you have a pretty good bead on whats going on up there, and yes a V plow is the way to go due to the heavy drifting.

David