1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mountain Plow Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrhunter, Jan 7, 2015.

1. jrhunter

jrhunter Junior Member
    from Montana

I am reposting it from the hobbyist thread as I think the commercial guys may have some more good info for me.
    I have a bobbed m35a3c with a hydraulic winch. The rig is awesome and runs perfect. It weighs 12,300 pounds but is the same length as my Tundra. I have chains for the 45" super singles. I will be using it to plow an unmaintained BLM road. The road is 5 miles long and climbs 2000' to my property, at grades up to 16%. Most of the road follows the valley bottom with some sidehills. Road base is all native material with gravel in it. A few stretches are dirt and a pain when wet. In the summer a 2 wheel drive is adequate for the road. We get a few feet of snow each year and my wife wants the road passable for her Murano.
    Does anyone have experience with this setup? Edge or full blade trip? No one makes mounts for this truck, so it will require mods. Any help in plow selection or general advise for this setup is appreciated.

HP.jpg

2. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Going to want a v-plow for the mountain crap, so most municipal style blades are out.

Biggest v-plow I see most the manufacturers make are the Boss DXT/XT, Fisher XV2, etc...

Maybe someone else has an idea.

Generally starting two separate threads on the same thing isn't recommended. A mod could have moved it for you if they see fit: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=159436

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

1st off cool truckThumbs Up

Based on what you've described and knowing what BLM roads can be I would suggest a fixed position V plow similar to what's used on a road grader. You're truck and terrain would destroy any plow that of the "big 4" mfr. A municipal plow would be better but they're typically 10-12 wide.
    No matter what you go with you're going to build a mount.

4. NorthernProServ

NorthernProServ PlowSite Veteran

I think a Boss 10' DXT/VXT would fit the bill. 10' is only a option on the DXT i believe.

DXT= Dual trip, Trip edge + mold broad.

VXT= mold board trip only.

Can add wings to go wider if needed.

Can add shoes, so no worries of digging into the ground when soft.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

A Boss Plow cant handle that truck My County Has one They call it a 10 ton

They had several different plows on it The finally went with a Fix mount 12' V plow from a grader Even with it they steel break it

When you plowing Gravel roads with dips and holes

Now if he was plow paved road then that 10ft Boss would work

6. scottr

scottr Senior Member

What's the snow like? Do you get a lot of wind loaded snow? Drifting? If not, you don't need a V plow. 5 miles is not very long. This truck seems overkill for that short of run, but, you have it. Look for a " one way" like the state, county and other Muni's use. You'll have to fab up the push frame, tap into your hydraulic system for the plow. All doable. But, if you only get a few feet a year, why not just use a pick up? If you don't like plowing gravel, let a good base of snow pack down ( couple inches ) then keep it cleared. Or add over sized shoes to the bottom of your plow. ( my buddy and I plow over 80 driveways and roads, all gravel, not a paved section in out route)