1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mount removal

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by farmerkev, Apr 26, 2009.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

My buddys looking at a truck, its a 97 GMC 2500, and it has a western mount on it. Im not sure what type, other than that its a western. If he gets the truck, he says I can have the mount. Whats involved in removing a western mount? Is it all just bolt up? Thanks.

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

With a mount that old....a cutting torch will have it off in 10 minutes.
    And yes, it just bolts on.....as long as nothing was "fabricated" to get it on the 97;)

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If it's a Uni or ultra you will have to pull the bumper to get all the mount parts from inside the frame rail.

4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Im not thinking he will be getting it. But just want to know. Wouldnt a torch damage it? What would you be torching? Just the bolts?

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

an impact wrench will take care of most of the bolts. I'd hit them all with some penetrating oil a day or 2 before hand to help.

There are some that can be tough, and as was said, the longer it's been on the harder it will be to get off but it should be a 2 hour job when you include getting the bumper on and off, maybe 3 or so if you have some tough bolts to deal with.

-Jer

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

What are you going to do with the mount? I would think a torch on the bolts or a strong impact should be able to get it off quickly

7. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I really dont know what id do with it, its just that he has no need or want for it and Im the only one who knows anything about it. So he said I could just have it I guess.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'll take it :)

And if you don't know how to use a torch properly, yes, you'll damage it. I cut most of them off that I remove, just cut the bolts. 88-98s are pretty easy. You won't have to remove the bumper either (unless it's conventional).

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Ive got 2nd Dibs after got h-20!!!

10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Maybe I want it? Not really. Whats a going rate for a mount on its own? Are they worth much? Ive never really looked.

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I just checked Ebay. :eek:

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Not really much this time of year. It is to me b/c I deal in plows and stuff 12 months a year.

And what did you see? I looked and saw a couple of early F150 mounts that no chance will they pull what they want. ;)

13. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

I got dibs if the 2 ahead of me don't want it!!!

14. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Even half that would be fine in my pocket!

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

PM me what you want for it. ;)

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I wont be getting it. :p

If its there long enough, I might make an offer, but then Id keep the mount, and get a plow for it.

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol, no prob.....I have a few of them laying around, I buy/sell them is all.