1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mount question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hydro_37, Nov 14, 2007.

1. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Thought I saw this question before but I will ask again. Will a Boss RT-2 V Plow hook up to a Boss RT-3 mount? I cannot find a used RT-2 mount for my blade but I have found an RT-3 mount. Will it work? If it will not then what is the difference? Thanks guys. Tim

2. hydro_37

from iowa

Nobody has any answers????

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

An RTII will not go onto a RTIII and vice-a-versa.
    You will need the RTII mount.

4. hydro_37

from iowa

Thanks Snofarmer. I had a Boss dealer in Wisc telling me my plow will attach to either mount. Guess I will keep looking for an RT-2 mount.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

No prob, some folks/salesmen will say anything to get the sale.
    even if he sees his mistake he has you at his shop.
    Kind of like having a captive audience.;)

I see you asked this over there too,,,,
    whats the matter don't you trust us?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  6. hydro_37

from iowa

I trust this site alot more then the "other"one. Just wanted to see what they said. The dealer is about 400 miles away so I am kinda hoping he sends what I need. He is taking an RT-3 mount and putting an RT-2 push plate on it. Doesn't make sense to me but I will see when it gets here.
    BTW....it is going on my dad's truck so he is spending the money....not me....lol

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I know,:D Just joking with you.
    How would i have known:waving:

Not sure how that is going to work either.
    I guess you'll see?lol

As soon as you get the right one they do go on really easily.
    Just make sure the bumper is back in position before you tighten things up.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  8. hydro_37

from iowa

Hope to have the mount first part of next week. Sounds like maybe a plowable snow will be heading this way after Thanksgiving. Good advice on putting the bumper on before tightening things up......beats the he!! out of cutting the bumper to fit

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can change the push beams between the RT2's and 3's in order to connect them to the correct style plow. They use the same truck frame brackets....

But you can't use and RT2 push beam on an RT3 plow or vice versa..

In other words, as long as the push beam matches the plow, you can interchange the push beam between the truck specific frame brackets..

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

cool, I thought there was more of a diffrence.
    eather way he needs to get one...

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just so their is no confusion though, I should add that not all the push beams are all the same (whether their RT2 or 3) as far as width goes...due to the different frame width's on the trucks, their has to be different widths on the push beams.. Like for example, you could remove an RT2 push beam off a "XYZ" truck and replace just the push beam with an RT3 style that is for the same "XYZ" truck....

Basically, some push beams will fit a certain number of trucks and some others will fit the other trucks, due to the vast differences in the frame rail width's on the different makes and models..

12. hydro_37

from iowa

Thanks B&B, I think you cleared up some confusion for alot of people. Especially me. I will see how it all matches up soon and will post how it turns out.

13. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Maybe... as commented before you can check the different push beam lengths here:

http://service.bossplow.com/Documents/pushbeam_sizes_and_applications.pdf

The depth under the truck frame can also be different as I found out the hard way.

funny this thread shows up right as I am building an RTII undercarriage for my '08 Ram. I used the old RTII undercarriage LTA02638E as a template to build the pushbeam side plates... then copied the mounting configuration from the correct 2008 LTA04770B to mount them to the truck (all the Boss manuals are available online).

As planned the height is correct for RTII, 13.5". Not as planned it's recessed too far under the truck and the pushbeam is more than 4" too short to mount so I still had to make adapter plates.

But yes, if you get the RTII pushbeam where it's supposed to be it should work (I hope).

14. hydro_37

from iowa

Finally. Got the mount installed. I got an RT-3 frame parts and used an RT-2 push plate. The bumper didn't want to go back on but with some neat grinding and torch work everything went back together. Hooking up the plow was quite an experience. Now that I have dine it maybe next time will go easier. There is no jack stand on the plow so that made it tougher to mount. Not sure if I will ever try mounting a plow again but at least I know alot more about the plow. Thanks for all the help guys :drinkup:

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

My plow does not have a jack eather.
    ;)it never had one.

16. hydro_37

from iowa

How do you get yours mounted? Mine sits on a shop floor and it is a very smooth floor.

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I push the head gear up into place and then drive into it.
    Push the lever back, plug in, lift and go.
    (course I use the keeper pin;))

I keep mine outside on the gravel.
    Mounting any plow that you have to drive into to mount and it's on a smooth surface can get:cry::dizzy::realmad: as you chase it across the floor.

18. hydro_37

from iowa

Thanks Sno Farmer. Keeping it in the shop is nice...till it comes to putting it on. It may just stay on the truck all winter as it is on our wrecker and won't get much use. I don't do towing so the truck sits alot.