1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mount install ?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by XyellowX, Jan 23, 2012.

1. XyellowX

XyellowX Junior Member

im putting the forks on my 05 silverado z71 and i ran into a problem. if i bolt the forks to the bottom holes my measurements are 11 inches and on top 9 1/4 inches. the instructions say around 10 inches. which height should i use?

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'm confused your only options are 11" or 9 1/4" with nothing in between? Guess I'd do the 11" Just an FYI if the mount gets too high it makes it harder to get the plow on/off

3. XyellowX

XyellowX Junior Member

those are the only choices i have with the mount. should i crank up the torsions if i stick with the top hole? i already have timbrens on the front. there are 2 sets of holes on the fork bracket that attaches to the main bracket. : :

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

It might take some trial and error. I think 10" is the target, you can be slightly higher or lower. I'm not sure but with the higher setting you may be more likely to contact the lower plastic valance when mounting/dismounting the plow.

5. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

Youre lining them up using four bolts on each side right? On hiniker mounts that gives you one hole of adjustment up or down which is about 1" total, not 1 3/4

On my truck i modified the mount to make it 6" taller/lower since my truck is lifted

6. bostiguy

bostiguy Junior Member

Any chance you can show a pic of what you did? I ended up adding a 3/8" thick stainless plate into my mount to lower the forks closer to the 10" height. I hope it's safe enough, one storm and so far so good.

7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would think if your suspension is stock a turn or two on the t-bars is in order which would give you the 10". Also if you set it at 9 1/4" and then raise the plow you will probably be at like 7 1/4"... not enough to clear a curb.

Like Scotty said though it doesnt make sense why there is 1 3/4" difference in your two options.

8. scottydosnntkno

scottydosnntkno Member

Heres some pictures of what I had to do.

Truck is a 06 6.0 with a 4.5" suspension lift and 35s. Put the bottom of the arms right around 15" from the ground on the lowest stock setting.

Before pic
    [​IMG]

New piece. Close up from behind. The vertical pieces were ground off where they attached to the tube/prongs. They used to be welded only on the outside edges. Switched from the stock 3/8" plate to 1/2" plate for the vertical piece on each side. Didn't make the beveled corners as it doesn't do anything and would have been a lot more work.
    [​IMG]

View looking at the truck.
    [​IMG]

The new mount all done. Kind of hard to see but I welded both the inside and outside edge where the vertical plate contacts the horizontal tube as well as the bottom edges so its 360 welded now. Switched out the stock grade 5 attachment bolts to grade 8 bolts to count for the added stress.
    [​IMG]

The vertical pieces used to be I want to say 8" from bottom edge to top edge once removed from the horizontal tube and we extended them to be 13" now which puts the bottom of the prongs at just about 9 3/4" off the ground. Was shooting for 10.5 but something didn't correlate correctly in the measurements. Doesn't matter, truck has plow prep and has no noticeable sag with the plow raised so theres plenty of height. Probably 2" over a typical curb to the bottom of the little notch thing on the bottom of the prongs.

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd put some kicker braces on that before you twist it off