1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mount Hide strobes away on F-350

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Jan 20, 2005.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I have seen a bunch of people around my area with 2 strobes in the rear reverse lights and 2 up front in the blinkers. I have a 2004 F-350 and want to do this. How do I do this? What kit should I get? Any one else here done it? Can I see pictures of how you mounted them in the lights?
  2. Eng63Trk16

Eng63Trk16 Junior Member

I did it on my 04 F-250. Its not really that hard. I got my kit from galls.com. There you pick the power supply and the bulbs you want (color or clear.) I got the most powerful 4 bulb power supply with two yellow and two clear. The installation is pretty easy you drill a 1 inch hole into light housing, beside hole in fire wall it is all wiring. It took me tops 2hrs to do it. Its snowing right now and supposed to get 12+ this weekend so i will post picture of it as soon as i can.
  3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Without a doubt go with a 90 watt kit. You just dont get enough power from a 60 watt kit during the day time. Any brand is good for hide aways but whelen IMO is the top brand!

Those are the cheapest places for a 4 head hide away kit. You can also choose colors for each kit.
  5. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

Where are most of you mounting the power pack? Do you direct wire to the battery or are you going through the electrical inside the cab? I would like to do a remote installation if possible. Thanks for the info.
  6. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

my unit is wired direct to the battery with an inline fuse at the battery and mounted behind the seat in the cab.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Pop in strobe tubes or the screw down type? Which is better?
  8. Eng63Trk16

Eng63Trk16 Junior Member

1. I like the screw in becasue they come with a foam washer that can keep water from going into the lense. I had the pop ins never had a problem but i like the screw ins.

2 I mount my supply under the passenger seat (ford ext cab) because the battery was closer to that side.
  9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Problem with pop ins, you can only run 15 watts maximum to them. With screw in, you can run 25watt maximum. Power supply should be mounted under seats.
  10. moose__72

moose__72 Junior Member

For hide-away installs, I use a 'unibit' for the hole. It's a bit that looks like a cone shape, and cuts smooth holes. The bit I use is a 1 inch, but the front of the bit is flat. I usually use a 1/4" bit to line up the hole exactly where I want it, and then let loose with the unibit. Unibits can be found at Home Depot and usually run about $10.
  11. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

Reverse lights

when you mount the strobe in the backup lights, do the backups still work or is that bulb removed?
  12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Leave the backup bulb in there. You still need it,and there should be enough room for the strobe head and the backup light.

Regards Mike