1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mount fabrication - Material???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by k5blazer, Dec 29, 2003.

1. k5blazer

k5blazer Junior Member

I am modifying an older Meyer's mount to fit an 86 4WD Blazer (full size) and I wanted to know how thick the stock needs to be. I am making brackets to mount on the frame just forward of the bump-stop bracket and a thrust arm or strut to where the A-frame hooks up. I have a good supply of 3/8 in. steel, good enough or do I need thicker?

2. Synergyracing

Synergyracing Member
    from Indiana

3/8" should be fine...just make sure your welds are good.....I had a friend of mine do the same but his welds were poor and as he backed away from a a big pile......his plow stayed......
  3. k5blazer

k5blazer Junior Member

Sounds like it got a little ugly for your friend.
  4. Synergyracing

Synergyracing Member
    from Indiana

you should have seen us trying to pick up the blade (2 people) and set it into the bed of his truck. The business he was plowing was not impressed......oh well, live and learn I suppose.
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

As he was reciting the company policy to the property owner.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I didn't go out and measure mine, but I would bet 3/8's more then enough. If you can't weld it, bribe with beer after jobs done, it always works for me and my friends.