1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mount an old plow on a newer truck?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by steelman05, Dec 23, 2009.

1. steelman05

steelman05 Junior Member

Hey everyone,

dave here from the great northeast. I have a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with the factory plow package and was recently given an older 8' fisher plow with the A frame, side to side arms and hoses. I called my local fisher distributor and the told me I cannot mount this to my newer truck. Being that I have a metal shop and that I don't like being told that I can't do something, I investigated. I checked out a friend's 96 Chevy 2500 with a fisher set up and it appears to me that I should be able to accomplish my goal. I know I need to find the pump, hoses, controls, mounts, frame at this point and would like to know if this is viable. can i run a pully off my 6.0 liter? Am I crazy to try to put this together?

Thanks to anyone with advice,

Dave

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

NO you cant!!

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

having seen his done countless times, your final cost will be about $4700. how bad do you want it?

try it and post your final cost and wasted labor.:popcorn:

4. steelman05

steelman05 Junior Member

thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and will not waste my time or money. great site by the way, i have learned a whole bunch in just a short time.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I was being facetios:laughing: (I was baiting you, "I don't like being told that I can't do something")

You can do it, But If you have to ask your better of not doing it.

6. steelman05

steelman05 Junior Member

Ha...I'll take that! Basically just looking to be pointed in the right direction. I figured since you guys have been there, done that I would ask first. So again if you have any pointers they would be much appreciated.

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

it could be done. $500 for a pump. $400ish for a mount. hoses and some swithches $50-70. $1000ish for a belt driven system.

in the long run it isn't cost effective.