1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motorize a large DOT spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bterry, Oct 31, 2003.

1. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I'd like to know if any of you have successfully motorized a large v-box spreader, such as those that DOT's use. Namely an Air-Flow or Henderson unit. It's a 10' hydraulic unit driven from a central hydraulic set up.

Basically I'd like to replace the hydraulic motor with a pulley and drive it with a 18 HP gas engine from a garden tractor.

Thanks in advance.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The only thing you could do is use the pony motor to run the hydro pump. You will still need the valving and controls.
  3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Northern Tools sells a hydraulic pump with a 12V clutch like an air conditioner compressor. We just installed one on our older bucket truck. Added a crank shaft pully and a belt. You could probably make up something like that . Cost us around $350 for the pump.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

While I'm sure it could be done,it's probably better to either get another unit,or hook it up properly.

An underhood pump like stated above is an option.The spreader controls aren't that expensive either if you don't already have them.