1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor will not shut off

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by xjeep25, Nov 20, 2008.

1. xjeep25

xjeep25 Junior Member
    from ohio

I just finished installing a used unimount 6.5 foot plow on my 01 jeep cherokee, installed all new wiring and headlight wiring. When I try to run the plow left/right or raise it the motor runs and will not stop untill I unplug the harness from the plow. I have noticed that the motor solenoid is staying on and keeping the plow motor running. Have put on 2 new solenoids and still have the same problem. I did the wiring install myself, where did I go wrong?

Did a search but found very little info, I have ruled out my controler (plugged it into another truck with a unimount and it works just fine), also know that my plow and pump are good, put that onto the same truck, wooks good. I put a good working unimount on my truck and the motor just runs, plow will not move.

This is really making me mad, wasted all day and a 3 hour drive for parts that did not fix it.

HELP

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the two motor solenoid small terminals you should only have two colored wires, a brown/red on one....and a orange/black on the other...do you?

Using an actual snow plow designated solenoid...or an auto parts store solenoid?

3. xjeep25

xjeep25 Junior Member
    from ohio

yes only two wires on the solenoid, orange/black and brown/red,

yes it is a plow solenoid, it is a western tower style

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the brown/red on the solenoid and the solid red 12V ignition hot wire are shorted together somewhere in the harness.

You can check the brown/red wire with a test light to verify this possibility...it should only show 12V with the ignition on, the controller on, and the controller held in either the raise, angle left, or angle right function. If it's hot all the time its shorted at some point between the solenoid and the controller with another wire.