1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor swap Questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86burban, May 14, 2004.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Hi,

I bought an 82 F250 with either a 302 or a 351 that is in need of a motor (a knocker). I have had this 351 from an 87 Grand Marquis that is fuel injected. The Problem I am having is that I dont know what the motor in the truck is. Im almost positive that the G.marquis motor is a windsor.

Things i am curious about is, will the intake, exhaust manifolds, oil pan, etc transfer over between a 302 to a 351w? Will the cam have a lobe for the mechanical fuel pump? Anything else I will need to know?

Thanks,

Tony

2. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

The only way that Grand Marquis could have a 351 is if it had a Police Package or was a swap. If it originally had a 351 it would be carbureted, not FI. Check the VIN, I think you'll find out it is a 302.

3. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Thats not true. If it were a 302, it would be a mpfi motor with an intake like a mustang. It is bigger than a 302 size-wise, and it is throttle body injected.

Tony

4. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Not in a Grand Marquis/Crown Victoria. I was surprised to see Fords with carburetors that late. Ford does not offer a Police package on a Gr Marq. I will do some further research this week. Send me the VIN from the Gr Marq.

5. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

The car has been gone for six months. I pulled the motor and junked the body.

Im sorry. I am looking at the wrong motor. We have six here and three of them are ford motors. The 351 is from a truck, I have no idea which year or make. The two motors look similar to me. The motor in question is a 302 from a grand marquis. I believe the g.m. was an 87. I know it was a mid 80's because I used the front nose on an 86 that I had that was smashed in the front. Could be wrong on the year. It has throttle body injection on it though. I thought that the fuel Injected crown vic/g.m. had intakes like the mustangs? Do you know what the deal is with that?

Thanks

Tony

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

85 was the last year with TBI. In 86 they went to multiport (Thats what I call it, I'm a 80's GM dealership tech). That "multiport" was a nice setup. I had a 90 Colony Park that pegged MPG in the 20's on the road! I never should have sold that car. I looked at a 91 Crown Vic ex-police car once and told the guy it didn't have the original motor because it had a carb, then I found out the police package had carbs up to 91. The nose from 79-87 was very similiar and would interchange.

7. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Well when did they drop the carb and move up to the t.b?

Thanks,

Tony

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With Ford's the break when they went to EFI and carbs is hard to say with Trucks! 86 was the little trucks but bigger I don't know when they went to multi port! The best bet is to get the computer that goes with the motor and mate the harasses and systems together. When you go from truck to car engines it can get confusing!

9. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

They went to the modular engine in 92 and stopped using the 302 then in the C/V, G/M.

10. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Now, I heard a rumor that I can change the eccentric on the front of the cam and the front cover to accomodate for a fuel pump. Is this true?

Tony

11. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Tony,
    I'm not sure, but I work with a Ford guy and I'll inquire.
    Mike

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Man that would be a nightmare putting a mid 80's v8 in an early 80's truck, good luck! Might try just useing an electric low pressure fuel pump in it. Like from Summitracing.com. Good luck getting it to run right with all the different systems. The feed back carb/computer system is a pain in the B*&.