1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

motor solenoid

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mikejkd, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mikejkd

mikejkd Junior Member
    from MA

How many ohms do you have on your two plug mm1 motor solenoid?

2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

What posts/terminals are you trying to ohm out and why?

3. mikejkd

mikejkd Junior Member
    from MA

The trigger posts. I keep burning out controllers and I cant find anything else wrong. I am thinking if the motor solenoid is pulling to many amps its burning the controller out. it burns fuses and cooks the controller.

My other thought is the connector for the controller was loose so I crimped the female ends closed a little more in hopes it makes better contact. If they where loose does anyone know if that would kill the controller?

4. mrv8outboard

The activation terminal is a low amp circuit. It is separate from the high amp circuit. The activation side charges a coil of wire to create a magnetic field (electro magnet) that pulls a plunger with a plate attached to bridge the lugs on the high amp terminals. So if this circuit is output only from the controller and IS what is causing the fuse to fail then one would suspect a bad ground at the solenoid causing a low voltage high amp condition that the circuit was not designed for. Is it the proper solenoid? Is it wired properly? Also loose connections can cause low voltage high amp conditions.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think he knows that.Thumbs Up That's probably why he's looking for information......

OP - an amp draw test will be much more accurate on an inductive load than a resistance test.

6. mikejkd

mikejkd Junior Member
    from MA

Its been working fine since 97. I cleaned all the grounds and squeezed the female connector in hopes that will solve it and not go through another 300 for a controller. I was wondering if the coil in the solenoid is shorted just enough to pull to many amps but still work. This is why I was curious on the ohms of that coil.

7. mrv8outboard

My system is a Fisher. I use an automotive style solenoid. I get 2 ohms on the activation circuit terminal and ground. Yours should be similar in resistance.