1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor so HOT it melted a hole in the fluid reservoir!?!?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Turf Care, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Turf Care

Turf Care Junior Member
    from Midwest

Truck is a Dodge 2500, 8' straight plow. 2 yr old plow setup installed at the dealer. Has worked flawlessly for 2yrs. Truck is like new, no rust on connections, all equipment stored inside all the time and anti corrosive on electrical connections. Alternator and batteries load tested fine. No codes on truck pcm/ecm.

Situation: employee said that plow was acting funny...wouldn't go up or left/right without messing repeatedly with the controller. This wasn't happening continously just a couple times. Employee got done for the night, parked truck and shut of only to have plow motor continue to run and raise plow. Turned truck key on and lowered plow only to have the same thing happen again. He raised hood of the truck to remove hot wire from solenoid and when he bumped the nut to loosen it, problem stopped.

Later that night plowed a couple more lots only to have the check gauges light come on and truck ultimately die. No power at all. Got out and saw ATF fluid on the ground under plow. Plow motor/or solenoids/etc got so hot they melted the fluid resevoir and drained the fluid.

Unhooked plow connections, jump started truck and no more problems. What do you think was drawing current and got so hot it melted the fluid tank?

I searched the forums and didn't see any posts with a melted reservoir, so thought I'd get some feedback.
    Thanks

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The solenoid was stuck (on) making the pump run all the time. So get a solenoid when you pick up your new pump, I doubt the pump is good, if it got hot enough to melt the tank I'm sure it hurt the pump

3. Turf Care

Turf Care Junior Member
    from Midwest

solenoid on the pump or under the hood? anyway to test the pump without hooking it up to a truck?

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Under the hood. It was going bad which is why your guy had to mess with the controller, then it stuck ON. At least it makes sense in my head. You can take some jumper cables straight off the battery to the pump, or just hook it up to the truck. What can you wreck more? If you hook it to the truck and the pump stays running you know the sol. is stuck. I had one go bad this year it would intermittently stick on, I'd jump out and unplug the 2 wire power and then plug it back in. I was able to finish plowing that way