1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

motor runs but no movement

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Glenn81, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Glenn81

Glenn81 Junior Member

Hi all I'm new here and I'm hopeing that you guys can figure this out for me. This plow was on a used truck that I bought. I'm not sure if it's a mm1 or a mm2. It's a electric 8ft that has 3 plugs. Today when I was plowing and all at once it wouldn't lift. When I checked it it wouldn't angle either. Left, right or lift the motor will run but that it. I brought the truck in the shop and drained the fluid and took of the resevoir. The sump/filter was on good and not a lot of debris. Just wondering what I should check next. It happened all at once so I'm thinking electrical but not sure what to check, any help would be great.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Probably lost the black/orange ground wire for all the valve coils. Take a look and trace it to it's grounding location, which should terminate at the motor ground stud/bolt.

3. Glenn81

Glenn81 Junior Member

Ok thanks a lot I'll check that first to see.

4. Glenn81

Glenn81 Junior Member

Ok so I check my black/orange wire going to my 3 solenoids for ground and I also checked for power in the opposite wire. I found in the left solenoid(the one closest to the center) power when I put my joystick down. In the middle one I have power when I go left & right. And in the right one I have power when go left & up. Like I said I lost everything all at once in about a 15 second span. Not sure what to try next.

Thanks

5. Glenn81

Glenn81 Junior Member

I took my pump off and found the trouble. The gear in there is broken. Now I'll have to check with Fisher, I'm assuming I'll have to buy the whole pump.

Thanks

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's only two things that cause a loss of all functions simultaneously while the motor still runs, and that's the previously mentioned ground on the coils, or a broken gear pump. This must be an Instact pump as they're well known to lose the gear pump. The gears simply shatter.

Time to order a new gear pump.

7. Glenn81

Glenn81 Junior Member

You are exactly right it's a instact pump. I have it all fixed now, they said that I had to buy the whole pump. That gear on the long shaft was broken in 4 pieces.

Thanks

8. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

And why is that? At $250 a pop for a new pump is it planned like that?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you should ask the stock holders about that one John. :eek:

My inclination is the gears are just too hard (brittle) in some of them. In the beginning we attributed it to just a bad batch but quickly learned it's just more hit or miss as it continued on. Think it was about 2006 when we first began seeing it and it's never totally gone away since. Every so often you'll just get a bad one.

10. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I had suspected the same thing was going on with my Insta-act unit, the other day. But low and behold, today when I hooked up the plow it was working just fine. I guess it wasn't my pump after all! I'm thinking I must of had a stuck valve due to the really cold temps we had last week.