1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

motor running without any input

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GripTruk, Feb 16, 2007.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I have a two year old Ultramount on a Tahoe, installed last year and has worked fine since the beginning. Today I was driving and I had the plow turned on so i could angle it to make a sharp turn. When i pulled up to my destination I heard a noise that i thought was the power steering pump at first, it turned out my plow motor was running. it kind of sounded like it was running dry. I could not stop it except for unplugging the main power wire on the grille. After that I plugged it back in and it functioned as normal, but the power leads were hot and I think i might have seen a little smoke from the motor (but it might have been steam from melting ice).

Right now the plow functions completely normally as if nothing ever happened. I was not plowing when the problem occurred so it wasn't like the motor was overworked, except that it seemed to be running for no reason for a couple minutes.

anyone have experience with a problem like this? any idea what to look for, what to test?

thanks in advance, Jer

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That not unheard of at all. Either your controller is going bad (if it was still turned on when this happend) or the under hood solenoid was sticking in the on position.More than likely it's the under hood solenoid. Since their not expensive, I'd just go ahead and replace the solenoid.Why burn up a $150 motor or alternator over a $15.00 solenoid.

3. Sawdust Bob

Sawdust Bob Junior Member
    from Il

Had the exact same thing happen to me! It was the solenoid under the hood. A very cheap and quick fix.:nod:

4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

thanks guys, that makes sense I guess. I don't recall if my controller was on or off, but the plow was not powering one way or the other, the motor was just running. It especially makes sense because that would explain the heat if the motor was running the pump but there was no valve open. I'll have to grab another solenoid (and a spare). Hopefully that really is all it is. It's been a year since I did the install so the wiring was not fresh in my head.

Thanks again.

-Jer