1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

motor replacement

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Turkey, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Turkey

Turkey Member

I'm thinking my motor is getting weak. Seams to draw alot of current and dims everything inside the truck. I've checked all the connections and nothing seams to be helping. I called a couple of area dealers and they're wanting $450 for a motor cash and carry. Seams a little high, looks like they're going for $200 online. The dealers also mentioned something about replacing a bearing and needing a special puller. So I have a couple of questions:

1. What's realistic $$ for a motor?
    2. Where is this bearing the dealer mentioned located?
    3. Does the bearing actually need a special puller?

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Bearing and Puller????

I thought the motor was an easy swap..........course I have yet to do it.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

$450 is a bit high for just the motor. An entire new pump unit is only $575 or so. May want to look for parts sources elsewhere.

The bearing is in the manifold block between the motor and pump/reservoir and yes it takes some special work to remove it. However you can inspect it while the motor is removed and if the pump shaft feels tight (not excessively worn) in it leave it alone, simply install the new motor and continue on.
  4. Turkey

Turkey Member

What the best way to get the bearing out? Press, hand tools or puller?
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An appropriately sized socket will do the job nicely.
  6. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

Check several auto repair places in your area. We have two that will rebuild the motors for around $150 depending on whats needed. But usually they don't go bad.
  7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Not as easy as you think. I got to do one last week and lets just say it didn't go well.

8. nickacf7

nickacf7 Junior Member

I just replaced wy motor a few weeks ago paid $130 for it. It was pretty easy to replace, the hardest part was to get the key thingy to line up but that was not that bad.......bearing puller????