1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor rebuilds?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gwkeeper, Mar 27, 2009.

1. gwkeeper

gwkeeper Junior Member

I have a back up motor for my plow that was thrown in on the deal for the set up. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram and or instructions/tips for a rebuild and the best deal on a rebuild kit. I don't even know if it needs it. Any ideas on if and when to rebuild would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Traci:help:

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

There were 5 ( if i remember right) different motors used by Western. They were made by Prestolight or Bosch. Western doesnt offer any type of rebuild kit for any of the motors, they consider them a replaceable part. Your best bet is to find a good starter rebuilding shop in your area and just let them do it. As for when, usually the first sign is excessive amp draw on the trucks electrical system even after you have checked and cleaned all the elctrical connections. Some motors you can get a year out of, some you can get more than 10 years out of it, all depends on how its was used. Keep all the electrical connections clean and tight and when running the pump dont over cycle it, when the cylinder reaches the end of its stroke, let go of the button. Its not going to turn or raise any farther by holding the button down, your just going to wear out the pump and motor faster.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Are we talking JUST the starter motor or the entire power unit?