1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor Problem ...... Hydraulically Challenged continued

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by monsonant, Dec 18, 2009.

1. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

please see prior thread if necessary
    Hydraulically Challenged , Western or Fisher

The plow is a cable controlled unit from 1991

Replaced my old motor today with a new Fisher Western A5819

My old Motor had one post / terminal where you would

connect the positive cable that ran from the solenoid. The ground wire came

from the battery and was attached to a ground clip which was fastened to the

motor using / sharing the same (rear) bolt that holds the motor to the housing

The new motor has two posts / terminals . Upper one is

positive and lower one is Ground .

When I connected the old cables to the new motor ,( Positive on top terminal and

Ground on the lower terminal ) Nothing ... the motor would not turn, solenoid would not click

Checked motor with Jumper cables direct from battery to motor ..... motor turns.

When I connected the old cables to ( Positive on top terminal and

Ground to ground clip which was fastened to the

motor mounting bolt , (not on the lower terminal ) the motor would not turn, but the solenoid would click.

and Finally

When I connected the old cables to the new motor ,( Positive on top terminal and Ground on the lower terminal ) and ran a 2nd ground from the grounding clip attached to the motor mounting bolt to the plow frame or truck .. the motor turned normally .

My question is ... is there something wrong with this motor ?

I have noticed on several pictures of the motor that the bottom terminal and the top terminal are different . Like the one below , the bottom terminal is a bolt and the top terminal is a stud with a nut on it . on my motor the lower terminal is the same as the top one in the photo so my point is that the ground terminal on my motor looks like it insulted .. the same as the positive one . on all the photos I have seen the lower terminal does not look like its insulated , just a bolt that snugs the lug up against the motor housing . Could this be the problem ? Thanks !!!! Dave A

FisherWestern A5819.jpg

FisherWestern A5819.jpg

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

try this........Hook the positive to the positive stud on the motor (making sure both ends are clean). Now take the negative (making sure both ends are clean) attach it to the neg post on the battery, and attach other end to the "bolt" that bolt the motor to the pump housing. Let see if the works..Somewhere there is a ground problem...

3. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

Twinman , Tried that , it does not work , just get a solenoid click . I have it working . I should have been a little clearer I guess ... when I connected the old cables to the new motor ,( Positive on top terminal and Ground on the lower terminal ) and ran a 2nd ground from the grounding clip attached to the motor mounting bolt to the plow frame or truck body.. the motor works fine when its hooked up like that . I have it hooked up like that ready to plow . I need to know If something is wrong with the motor so I can exchange it as soon as possible. It appears to be working fine , but the manner in which I wired it does not seem right . I dont think the motors casing is grounded , thats why the second ground wire works . If I connect a second wire from the Motors ground terminal to a ground clip on the mounting bolt the motor also works properly . I'll see if I can get a photo tonight , that will help .

4. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

This is a picture of how I had to hook it up to get it working .

A ground clip on motor to ground on vehicle
    B Ground to Battery
    C positive to solenoid

Notice the B terminal . is this the standard terminal for a ground ? motor1.jpg

motor1.jpg

5. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

The later style motors are an "isolated" winding motor , meaning there is no conductivity through the motors ground stud to the frame of the motor. These motors used on a unimount will work fine without grounding the pump housing but on a cable operated unit the cables (fastened to the pump housing) must have a ground to carry to the control to send back to the solenoid to run the motor.

What you have there is totally acceptable as long as both grounds are solid and clean. You could also run a ground from the battery to the motor stud an then a small jumper from the ground stud to the pump case .

Hope this helps

TOM

6. twinman326

Put the 3guage onto (b), then loop from the stud ground clip using the 10 guage

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

ground all to that stud. try it. does it work?

8. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

Have my Answer

No Lead , Running both grounds to the lower terminal will not work , see Nasty-z's post .

twinman , Yes that will work.

Nasty-Z , Tom , Thanks much for the very clear explanation and good advice. I have a little ground strap somewhere but could not find it , so I used what I had. Thanks again to all clapping.gif

clapping.gif

9. twinman326

The original motor (56133) don't have a second stud.. Now this motor is use for western and fisher also????