1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor Pool Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by XJ1517, Nov 4, 2014.

1. XJ1517

XJ1517 Junior Member

Hey guys. Been plowing for years. This year though, I've been presented with a different opportunity. I'm in southern Ontario and the provincial government has a motor pool of 30 cars that require snow removal and shoveling around to be ready for business hours for employees. There can be between 10-30 a day. Trigger is 2 cm. On average, there's usually 2 billable snowfalls per week, and about 11 weeks in the season. The business wants to pay the successful bidder on a per snowfall, per vehicle basis. I called my insurance guy and was told that it would be $1000 for the season. I would be doing the work on my own.

So what would you guys offer per vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Do I have it right that it is plowed by someone else, and you just clean off the cars and shovel between and around them?
    I am thinking $12 to $14 per car, us dollars. Figured 5 cars per hour, 5x12 is $60 per hour.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

No way......you will be blamed for every scratch and dent.

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

use those foam board brushes car lots use to clean cars, no scratches from those atleast.

5. XJ1517

XJ1517 Junior Member

- yes, someone else plows around the vehicles. I'll do just the snow removal. I was thinking around $13 per car might be good.

- good call on the foam board brush. Using it should prevent any issues with regards to scratching/damage.

Thanks for the input!

6. Doug8949

Doug8949 Member

Try a back pack blower no contact with car equals no liability

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I am starting to think the Government employees are getting spoiled...:rolleyes:

8. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

I would concur. Really - they can't brush off their gov't provided vehicle?

9. XJ1517

XJ1517 Junior Member

I'd say they're a little spoiled....lol.

So I didn't get the contract. DAMN!

Is there any legal way to find out who won the contract. Im really curious as to what they bid and how they can still make money.