1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor overheated after plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wavemaster, Dec 16, 2003.

1. wavemaster

wavemaster Junior Member

After several hours of plowing, on the way back home, the engine overheated. Temp gauge doesn't work, so I got late warning, but not too late.
    So my weekend project will be to install a separate Temp gauge as well as a transmission oil temp gauge.

Any suggestions where I should fit the senders? I have a 91 F150 with 5.0 EFI and AT.

Chilton manual is absolutely useless for this kind of project.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Robert

2. blk94fiveoh

blk94fiveoh Junior Member
    from MN

You can remove the existing sender in the lower intake and place the coolant temp there. The gauge will no longer work (but you said yours doesn't work anyways). As for the tranny oil temp...the best place to take the temp is just before the fluid ENTERS the cooler. This way you will be able to see how hot the fluid is before it is cooled. You should be able to splice into one of the rubber hoses. I would also recomend upgrading your tranny cooler to the largest plate style cooler you can find/fit ($40-$60) as long as you are doing this project.

hope this helps,
    scott

3. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

You could have overheated the trans and put a burden on the cooling system. You also may have not had enough airflow through the radiator. Next time try angling the blade and if you are cruising at highway speeds you may run hotter. Good luck with your endeavor. Hope I was helpful!

4. wavemaster

wavemaster Junior Member

The blade was angled to the right and all the way up. I had been going up hill for a while.
    After the mishap I went a little bit slower and put the blade down as much as I could.
    With my temp sensors I should be able to make to observe the effect of blade height and angle etc.

Thx

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Overheat

My 89 Ford does the same thing if I ride with the plow up and not angled. I keep it about 5 inches off the ground / angled Rt and drive carefully.
    All else fails use the auxiliary cooling system--> Heat / Defroster on high with windows open. My wife asked me why all the snow plow guys she sees plow in shirt shelves with the window open.
    Now she knows.
    Well maybe cause we flog the poor truck for 12 + hours at low speeds pushing weight around parking lots? We burning a weeks worth of gas in 8 hours?
    Rode hard and put away wet. Sorry truck I need some sleep!

6. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Over Heating

I have the same problem with over heating with my 96 F250. I have finally figured out that I need to keep the blade at about a 45 degree angle (right or left) and about 3-4 inches off the ground.

7. wavemaster

wavemaster Junior Member

Overheating after the fact

Mine overheated after plowing, on the way back home. It didn't overheat on the way to the job, or during plowing, just on the way back home.
    With hindsight I can say that it was a combination of driving faster than on the way up there, and mostly going up hill.

Does any of you have a trans oil temp gauge? What does it show?

Thx

8. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

My dad used to have a 91 and it did that also! check to see if you have snow Blocking the wind from comming thru your grill I have seen all makes and models of trucks over heat from that!

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

fMy 95 does the same thing, when on the highway, I keep the blade straight and the plow about 3" or 4" off the ground it seems to help me.

10. FlaBoy

FlaBoy Junior Member

Try Pulling Out the thermostat

i had the same problem with my 86 f 350 with the 5.9.
    i dont know if the thermostat was bad or nt but i pulled it out and have not had a trouble since,as for heat it takes longer but it is there.