1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor on back order

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by secret_weapon, Mar 3, 2008.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

So my plow quit on me all of a sudden Saturday morning, took it back to the shop to diagnose and behold... I need a new motor for the pump. I took it apart to see the problem and the brushes are worn out. I was able to shim and finaggle the brushes to make the motor work so I could finish plowing.
    Later that morning I called the dealer to get a new motor... On Order!
    Called CPW for motor... On Back Order!
    Now looking for electric motor repair shop to hopefully put in some new brushes.

Apparently Boss seems to be having motor issues, cause they just can't make enough replacements.

This is just my .02 cents and telling about my woes. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Single or double stud motor? Have seen a few double studs die prematurely.

Boss doesn't make the motors (or the power unit as a whole for that matter) so it would be an outside manufacture problem.
  3. secret_weapon

It's a single stud motor, Haldex Barnes brand. I know they usually make pretty good products, but maybe they cheaped out for Boss.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a single stud then it has to be a few years old. How much use has it actually seen in those years? The singles usually last a long time.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  5. secret_weapon

I bough the plow used when it was a couple years old. It's an '03 or '04. I am constantly using the motor. Up... angle left or right, drop, then sometimes have to angle while moving... Lot's of up/down for back dragging loading docks.
    But anyways, I'm just surprised that it's on back order. I'm only a little upset cause I couldn't get it fixed that day. You know you don't want to be broke down, but it happens and you try to get it fixed as quick as possible.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree more there SW.

Did you see about getting the newer double stud motor instead? Good upgrade to do.
  7. secret_weapon

ordered a motor from angelos-supplies.com yesterday morning, got it this afternoon!!:redbounce

It's Buyer's brand, single post. Looks pretty good. $99 + ship = a lot less than $350 from dealer. Dealer also didn't have in stock.

So now I have a dilema, new motor came with new bearing, old bearing stuck in pump. It feels pretty good, so I'm thinking I might leave old bearing in and save new.
    Old motor is getting sent out to have brushes replaced.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the bearing feels good, it's ok to leave it in. They seldom cause problems.

Smart idea to have the original motor repaired as you'll need it again. The Buyers brand ones don't last long. :realmad:
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But they're cheap!!!!!!!!