1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

motor/ no power

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by vmj, Dec 11, 2011.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

02 f350 desiel... have no power when i go to pull out with it in morning... have to flutter peadel and then it seams like it catches and runs fine.. only in the morning this happens... i changed fuel filter, but it still happens, it actually stalled once and then hard to start, ran ruff then was good the rest of day........:confused:

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Look on YouTube, there is a lot of info on there about diesel issues. I've been learning a lot from there. Is is a 6.0L or 7.3L

3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

2002 - Would have to be a 7.3. The 6.0 came out in mid-2003. Some (very lucky) 2003's were 7.3's. The rest were, well, screwed.

4. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

ya its a 7.3

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Mine had this problem (kinda) a while ago. turned out i was WAY low on oil. is it cold out when its doing this?

6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

mmmm yes its when its cold out...

7. dieselss

ok,,,make sure oil is full!!!!!!!!!! block heater is working,,,ff heater is working i know you said you changed the ff but did you drain the bowl and clean out all the garbage from the bottom of the bowl???

8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Just went to look... oh boy!!! i was WAAAAAY low in oil.... No i did not drain the bowl... oops..

9. dieselss

remember that the 7.3 uses oil to fire the injectors, if your low the truck has to fill up the hpop from the trucks oil pan. theres oil in the heads but nothing in the hpop. so it'll start and run like crap then maybe die. then after it fills up, your good to go. i saw a video on youtube about changing the oil in the hpop and have done that even since. well i just suck out the pump, and thats it. i dont bother to do it 3 times. If it was mine, I would get another ff filter and change it again. draining and cleaning the bowl out. I saw one at the dealer that was so filled with junk the it fryed the heater and created an intermittenet dye while driving issue. just my .02

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thanks for the info..

11. dieselss

no problem

12. dieselss

Just been thinking about this a little more. How low was the oil? Any leaks to speak of ?

13. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

i have always had a small leak under the truck... i just over looked it!!! it is a small spot.

14. dieselss

Ok. I could prob tell u where the leak is without even looking at the truck lol. But I would try and get that fixed ASAP. Don't forget, its leaking while your driving to and you can't see how bad while driving

15. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

True... its on the back of the motor its always had a small leak...

16. dieselss

Imo that's a fix that needs fixed ASAP. Did you try and pinpoint the leak at all?

17. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

i looked for it a few times when doing a oil change, but could not see where it was coming from.

18. dieselss

ok,,like inbetween the block and bellhousing? suspecting rear main type leak? see if the valley is full of oil? could be coming from up top and leaking down.

19. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Yeah, I got a good one. The most hp and torque from the factory that year to compete with the Duramax. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Check your oil filter, I have heard of several aftermarket oil filters (and seen them do this) work loose and leak out a bunch of oil. USE A MOTORCRAFT FL1995 filter and that could take care of the leak if that is the area its comming from.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  20. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

heard of the same thing.. i have always used a motorcraft filter..