1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

motor install ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by weezer4117, Nov 19, 2011.

1. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

I just replaced the motor on my unimount cable operated plow and its now leaking fluid around the gasket(you can see it on the front motor bolt). All bolts are tight. The plate in the picture, does it need to go between the new motor and the pump housing?

western pump 1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

i took the new motor back off and I guess I just dont know where things go back. The plate in the picture is machined on both sides in the middle. Which side faces the motor? Where does the oil seal go? Please Help....

3. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

There were 2 motors for that Isomark unit, one with the shaft sticking out, and the other where the pump goes into the bottom of the motor. Are you sure you have the right one?? I only ask because I did'nt think you could thread the bolts all the way down without the plate installed with the correct motor.

4. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

Yes im sure i have the rite motor. There is a slight differnece in the shafts between the old motor and the new motor. After reviewing a parts diagram im thinking I need a oil seal to make up for the differences. This oil seal was not used on the old one motor. Im thinking/hoping this will fix my problem. Thoughts???? I tried to copy and paste the URL but it wouldnt work. The part can be seen here,http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?r=ms&p=SN. part number 256-0562.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

remove the motor and make sure the surface is free of debris and old gasket material. that is put together right. should not leak.

6. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

everything was tripple checked for debris, still leaks. Especially when the ram is down and the pump is forward.

7. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

8. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Have you looked for a parts diagram on Western's web site? That should give you an idea of what should be where.

9. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

worked on westerns for a long time, never seen that plate before. Is it leaking between the motor and flange, or flange and pump housing? Sures it's the flange and pump housing but I have to ask. Anyway, did you use a new gasket? If so, take the motor back off, rotate it 180 degrees and rebolt, see if it still leaks, if that fixes the problem then you have bad machining on the flange of the new motor on the one side. Also, if you want before doing that, add another washer under that bolt if you suspect it is bottoming out. If you didn't use a new gasket then get one. If all else fails use a THIN coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket. But make darn sure that bolt is not bottoming out..

10. weezer4117

weezer4117 Junior Member

it was actually leaking from both wich i thought was very strange. a new gasket was used. I added another washer and it appears to have fixed the leak between the pump houseing and the motor but i still see some seeping between the flange and the motor housing.