1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor Frozen

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by brandon.edwards, Dec 6, 2013.

1. brandon.edwards

brandon.edwards Member

I cleaned up my spreader last season really well, and this year it wont spin. The spinner takes some muscle to spin it by hand, so i assume that my motor is frozen up. Solenoid is good and fuses check out all right, but it wont spin on its own. Would it be best to just replace motor, or cheaper to replace the whole spreader. Spreader is in decent condition.

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Soak it well w/ a good penetrating oil and let sit, then reapply. Put a pipe wrench on the shaft and very carefully work it side to side until you have full rotation. Soak it again and continue turning until it moves freely. Find your grease fitting on the bearing(s) and pack it good. Cross your fingers & keep it greased often.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Just pulled an old snow ex 1875 out of storage that I haven't used in 6 years. When I pluged it in it gave me an OL code and nothing moved. I sprayed it down with fluid film and greased the one grease fitting (that I wasn't aware of :eek:), taped the motors lightly with a hammer and the spinner took off. I took some vise grips to the auger and got it moving as well. I have to say I was impressed (and lucky) I didn't even wash it before I put it away in an old open van body, just some dielectric grease on the connection terminals.
    Give it some effort before giving up on it.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Could be the bearings are seized. We had that problem with our polycaster last month. We put it on the truck, plugged it in and nothing. Turns out there's a couple grease fittings we didn't know about. Live and learn. Two new bearings and everything works great. Hopefully that's all you'll need.

5. brandon.edwards

brandon.edwards Member

Where are these grease fittings located? I got er soaking in PB blaster tonight she freed up a little bit but she still pulls harder than she should. Ill check on it tomorrow morning

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

It's difficult for anyone to say w/o knowing the make & model.

7. brandon.edwards

brandon.edwards Member

All I know its a snow ex tailgate spreader. Not a pivot pro or anything. It slides into the hitch. No model number. Its an older snow ex

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Maybe try searching Google Images for "Snowex tailgate spreaders" to identify what you have...but it should be between the motor and the shaft. You can also go directly to the Snowex site to find a parts diagram.

9. Mr.Markus

10. brandon.edwards

brandon.edwards Member

My spreader looks most like the mini pro 575. I let it sit all night in PB blaster, and it loosened it up a little bit, but still nothing. I cleaned the connector and put dielectric grease on the prongs. and nothing. I hooked up my clamp meter to see what kind of voltage i was getting, but i couldnt get anything out of it. I set it on ohms/ resistance and i got about 12-13 volts. So im thinking electrical is not the issue. Im thinking of just giving up on this snow ex, and buying a buddy of mines buyers. Ive looked through and through and found 0 grease fittings.

11. Mr.Markus

Is the controller displaying an error code¿
    Did you tap the motor with a hammer and try to turn the shaft back and forth by hand carefully, with vise grips¿¿¿

12. brandon.edwards

brandon.edwards Member

I have mine wired from battery to solenoid, to a switch to the spreader. No controller just a bump and on switch

13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

On that model you would have a transmission w/ the motor side mounted horizontally. If it seems like the motor is just struggling & wanting to turn, you may have a bad transmission. If you remove the housing, you should see this:

Patented spinner motor transmission unit.png

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Probably a 575, this is common with them after sitting for the summer.