1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor froze - what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pohouse, Jan 2, 2015.

1. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Out plowing and hit an old concrete footing. The plow tripped significantly, but nothing super bad. Plow stopped working immediately. I thought maybe a plug came loose. Checked over all wiring on plow and underhood. Relay just clicked, but no movement up, down or left, right. Shortchained the plow and went to the shop. Quickly discovered motor was getting power, but seemed froze. Tapped on the case lightly with a hammer while activating control and the motor broke loose. It worked fine for the rest of the night.

Anybody have this happen? Should I replace the motor? This is on a midweight. Plow is only 4 years old. I'm thinking about getting a replacement motor just to be on the safe side. My current p/n is 56363. Flowstat probably. Is the new motor p/n 21500-1? Can't seem to find my part no. on the Western website. I have the type that connects to the head of the hydro unit.

Thanks.

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a brush got stuck on the armature. Dont hurt to have a spare sitting around but that motor should be fine.

3. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Check the solenoid for output. It may click but there may not be power to the output stud. You can always jump it out with a screw driver but be careful doing that. If it works jumped and not when clicking the the solenoid is bad.

4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

he did say the motor was getting power tho

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes p/n is 21500-1

6. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member

I had the same problem with mine took 3 hrs to get it going ... Pita

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

One of our Pro plows does the same thing if it sits for more than a couple weeks. Quick tap with a hammer when someone hits the controller and it's good to go. Never messed with finding the actual issue, it started last year, and this season is the last year for that blade.