1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor Freezing up

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ranger4327, Dec 1, 2007.

1. ranger4327

ranger4327 Member
    from 04747

onto my next problem.... I have FisherMinute Mount Plow, electric/hydraulic Insta-Act Unit, and it is freezing up on me.. I just changed the hydraulic fluid and replaced with fisher fluid. Motor must be freezing up on me? I put the hot air to it and it comes free and works fine. I think i have had this problem before a few years ago and i can recall it is NOT water in the hydraulic system. Why is it freezing up on me and what to do to fix it ???? Filter, gasket, ????

2. vector330ix

vector330ix Junior Member
    from nh

Mine did that a few years ago. I opened it up changed all the filters and put in the blue fisher fluid. your not useing ATF right? i think it sounds like its moisture in the lines. if heat fixes it. then something is as you said physically freezing. ATF would do it.. it would not freeze but Gell.

3. ranger4327

ranger4327 Member
    from 04747

motor freezin up ????

i am using fisher fluid, the blue stuff, 12 bucks a quart :confused:

i blow hot air on the motor and it will thaw out and work ..........

i am guessing its in the motor .......

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

holy crap! where are you getting tha from??? I pay $18 a GALLON for that stuff!!

5. AUB1

AUB1 Member

I'm having the same problem and a few Guys are telling me it's the solenoid.

6. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Pull the motor and look for water under there. There is no gasket between the the motor and the unit so I put a bead of silicone around mine. Since it is upright Water USUALLY should not be a problem there but it could be in the hydyro pump. You could always just replace the motor if you have the $ they are like $100.

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If you completly flush and filled the system i would look towards the motor. They do collect moisture and build rust internally. Take the motor off, tear it down and give it a good cleaning.

I dont recommend using a sealer on the motor, it doesnt give them anywhere to breath to which will just trap the condensation in the motor housing.

8. HowardE

HowardE Junior Member

I thought I had a problem with water in the fluid (and I did) changed it twice and still had a problem with the pump not working when it was really cold...turns out years of dust had formed an effective seal at the base of the pump motor and since there is no seal at the top of the motor or on the bolts holding it on, the motor filled with water and finally shorted it out...when I unbolted the motor, water gushed out of the base (a cup or more)...I'm replacing the motor and making a shield for it to prevent the problem in the future.