1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor-Brushes replaced

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jklawn&Plow, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Finally got around to installing the Brush set from Western Motors. This is for the motor with the endcap that only takes up about an 1/8" at the end.
    This is for a backup, I tried to solder the connection with a large soldering stick(didn't work) I should have probably used the torch but ended up cutting some copper pipe and used a heavy cable crimper and overlapped the wire by about an inch (at least I didn't use duct tape.) This motor originally died in Jan-Mar 2009 the plow creaked a few times (moved slow) and then stopped completely. Opened it up and it was covered in Graphite dust. I cleaned it out, adjusted the brush springs and plugged it back in and it worked. The graphite dust encapsulated the whole inside of the unit creating numerous parallel low resistant paths to ground. The motor stops working but it does not "burn-up". Here's some picks.

2. jklawn&Plow

After the camera died , I took the motor back apart and drilled a 3/8 or so hole in through the side below the +12v post and installed a ground post to jump to the one on the pump interface. I'll use a 4 AWG jumper for this.
  3. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

why did you install the jumper?
  4. jklawn&Plow

The newer motors had their own ground terminal instead of grounding through the pump bolts to frame.