1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motor Blown on 2 year old Boss V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DJs Lawncare, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I have a Boss Poly V that is just over 2 years old and the motor is blown. What would cause that. I have had the dealer service it every year. This plow has been a headache so far (2 new locking cylinders, pad for controller, 2 new springs- dealer tightened it down to tight the first time, hose, and now Motor). I have a Fisher straight blade from 99 on another truck that I have never had to do a thing to.

2. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

Boss V

i Never Herd Of A Boss Plow Motor Goin Out At Two Years Of Age ?

sounds Like It Was Really Abused Before You Bought It !!

Ever Here The Term - Rode Hard And Put Away Wet......

Thats Sounds Like Your Plow...

good Luck, And I Hope Things Get Better For You And Your Plow....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

"Blown" in what way?

Single or double post motor?

4. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I don't know whether it was a single or double post motor. It is a 9'2" Poly V plow. Blown as in when you tried to raise or extend the rams the solonoid just clunked. I believe the dealer said the motor was seized up. As far as the previous owner, it was a brand new plow that I had put on my new (at the time) 05 GMC Sierra in November 05. So the plow is only 2 years old. I can tell you that I am pretty pissed about it. Especially since I don't think that it has been used that much to warrant the pump going. I can understand a hose blowing, the spring was overtightened from the dealer, and the locking cylinders going bad was supposedly a bad batch of cylinders (according to the dealer). However you should be able to get way more than 2 years out of a motor.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boss switched over to the 2 stud series motors in '05, so you could have gotten an early 2 stud one since the plow was new in '05.

I have seen cases of the double stud motors dying prematurely.

The single studs that they used forever never seemed to die.

Same thing on the Smart Locks, heard their was a bad batch of them...seen a couple come apart inside and contaminate the system (on '05 model plows as well).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Why does everyone complain about stupid stuff like this. Things break and wear out...This plow makes you what? a $1000 minimum every time it snow's. Buy the $200 dollar motor and keep going.

7. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I've replaced 2 12v motors in my fleet. one of them was over 4 years old, and the other was just over a year old at the time. and we have a dozen or so more that just go and go and go. sometimes stuff just breaks.

8. snobiz3

snobiz3 Junior Member

I have seem many motors fail in two years, not just BOSS either, and I have seen many last for many more. I believe that rocknrollrednec said it best with "sometimes stuff just breaks". That is why there is only a one year warranty on most of this equipment, because it is designed to go out and get the crap kicked out of it!!!

9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Hey snobiz3, do you work at monroe there in joliet? Thats where i go for my parts..

10. snobiz3

snobiz3 Junior Member

Yes sir, that would be correct... What gave it away?

11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

It was just a lucky guess...lol:waving:..Im gonna need some 9'2" boss wings soon, let me know if you ever come across any used ones, mine are starting to get bent up ..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  12. snobiz3

snobiz3 Junior Member

Yeah, I guess. Lol. Good luck on the used wings, the only time I see any used come off a truck there on there way to the scrap bin... I will keep my eyes open for anything usable:dizzy:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  13. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

. I know it is meant to get the crap kicked out of it. I have ownesd 3 differnt plows before this one that have had the motor on it for alot longer than that. I have already replaced the $500 motor on it. I am just kind of pissed that it weant to fast. I mean it really hasn't been used that much yet since the last year I only plowed a dozen times with that truck. I don't remember the year b4 and this year so far only about a dozen times. I know the whole stuff breaks thing and I could understand if it was 4-5 years old. I mean when my salter motor went after 3 years I could understand that because thats how long those things last and they are dealing with corrosive material. I just wondered what would cause a motor to go after only 2 years of serivce.

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Bad luck, more likely than not.

My '95 Boss still has its original motor. The '94 I THINK does because it looks original and untouched but I don't know its history before I bought it. I think that motor is getting a little tired, too.