1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motion sickness

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dan deutekom, Jan 30, 2003.

1. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Does anyone else get motion sickness when plowing. I refuse to plow in a pickup because I get really car sick after about an hour of plowing. Dosn't happen in the tractor or skidsteer or the 5 ton truck. It seems that the pickup is smoother riding and tends to dip and roll more in smooth motions. Any good cures?

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

While I haven't been sick from it, I definately still feel the motion well after I've gotten out of the truck. Especially after many hours, I still feel like I'm moving. It's not the most favorite of feelings!

-John

3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I never get motion sickness from my truck, however I find if I'm in a car that's relatively smooth driving I get a little wosy.:( I noticed this in my moms car, it's a 2003 Jetta with the turbo. I guess it could also just be the way she drives. I think I'm just used to the ruffer ride of a truck.

4. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

My wife (girlfriend at the time) was with me one night and after only 3 or 4 driveways, she made me bring her home as she was feeling car sick. She couldn't take the constant forward/reverse, and thought I was going to smash into the garage doors when I backed up to them. She says she'll never do that again. Oh well, she doesn't like the way I drive, either, so she usually does the driving when we go out:drinkup: :D Mike

5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I don't get motion sick, but when I get home after 12 hours + plowing and lay down my head is spinning, and I can't get the whining sound of the pump out of my head.

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Everything but plowing snow gives me motion sickness LOL.

Jay

7. site

site Member

Try ristbands for pressure points on your wrists. Available at the drugstore near dramamine for about $6.00, or look at the horizon and eat crackers (hey, it works on boats)

8. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Only heard complaints from pass. because their only sitting there not doing anything- where as the driver is always busy:p Joel

9. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

No motion sickness, but my neck tends to hurt from looking backwards so much.

John

10. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

jbutch83 said it all thats all i ever have problems with, I have heardfrom a few guys I work of getting sick in the bobcat but never from a truck.

11. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Feel it after a long night, nothing too bad, but I do almost puke when I see Low ballers prices posted up at stores in town:p . Neck hurts, but havent plowed in weeks... Hmmmmm :D

12. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

No motion sickness here, but then again I like cranking in a boat at 60 catching air on the waves.

The passenger (wife) is another story. Plowed a driveway once and she hated it. I agree that it must be passenger syndrome.

I told her, she'll have to try driving and plowing sometimes. If it works, I think I can sneak a plow onto her jeep. Figure I can start her with a 6 1/2 or 7 '.:drinkup:

13. Wesley's Lawn

Sounds like a good plan to me ebaron.

:drinkup:

14. Outdoor

Outdoor Junior Member

yes I get motion sickness
    I take dramamine less drowsy WORKS GREAT, provides 24 hrs protection, been taking it for years
    "LET IT SNOW"

15. Temco

Temco Member

I get a little woozy sometimes in the Bobcat but I attribute it to smelling the diesel fumes, I always have the windows cracked a bit.

16. Wesley's Lawn

Hey Outdoor welcome to plowsite, Iv never heard of dramamine where do u get it, what is it.:drinkup:

17. phishoook

phishoook Member

Wal-Mart or any drug store.

If you want something really good, ask your Doctor for the motion sick patches. You need a prescription, but they work great. I've never used them for plowing, just fishing and Six Flags.

18. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

Never got sick from the plowing, but on the Christmas Eve storm I was up so long with the plowing and Lord knows how many get togethers, that I vomited when I got home-felt fine after a few hours of shut-eye. I also plowed for several hours the other day (12 hours) and I was plowing in my sleep-that sucked. I'm still a tenderfoot though.:p

19. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I was just thinking about this the other night, Seems I dont anymore but man I used to get Motion sickness bad while plowing. It seemed only after 7-8 hrs though and i had to be tired. I found drinking ALOT (even though you pee constantly)(pop works well for me, all the sugar probably) helps and the Dramimine helps big time. Now that I own my company and dont plow for someone else I dont have a problem.

Now I do hate jumping into bed and still feeling yourself going back and forth. Or having dreams of plowing....

20. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Welcome Outdoor:waving: . And Greedquest, some of us have dreams of plowing because of the lack of snow, I know what you mean though.... :D