1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mothballing trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by murphy4trees, Mar 12, 2007.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I run 2 Ram chargers, '87 and '88... As well as a pick up truck. The pick up will get occasional use during the whole year, but I plan on keeping the trucks off the road almost all the time. They both need a little work, which I plan to do now, rather than wait til next fall when work is busy. I probably can park one on pavement, but the other will most likely end up in the woods at my yard. I've had mice get into my trucks before, which is no good.

I took all the plow trucks out for a ride in the rain the other day, to get as much of the salt off the undercarriage as possible. Hit them with the hose today. and I'll take both ram chargers to the car wash too. I ordered some fluid film, but it is on back order.

I know that if the trucks don;t get washed and they sit all year, they rust fast...
    I'll either take the batteries out or at least disconnect them, tape the talpipe to reduce condensation and gas them up to prevent condensation in the tank as well. I may start and run them from time to time, but maybe not. I also was going to tune one up with plugs, wires, cap and rotor, before it gets parked.

I will probably get the tranny fluid changed on the one I just bought too. The other one didn;t get run too hard this year and it has a tranny cooler, so that tranny fluid can go another year.

The ram chargers make 3-400/hr doing small parking lots and tight driveways, so they have a lot of value to me (when it snows), even though they are old and ugly...I'd like them to last as long as possible.

So any suggestions for maintenance. I also could tarp the on that parks in the woods.
    Thanks

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

A couple of thoughts...

I would add fuel stabilizer to the fuel tanks before fueling,the new fuel mixtures are junk and don't last long before turning to varnish(As little as 6 weeks).
    Maybe some mothballs in the cab to keep the critters out???...
    If they where my trucks I would fog the engine/cylinders with mystery oil or a marine fogging type oil to keep them from rusting.
    I would hold off on the tune up till fall.If you do get moisture buildup you just wasted the tuneup,more or less.
    I would pull the batteries and charge them on a trickle charger during the summer from time to time to keep them active.
    Spraying the trucks down with Fluid Film is a good idea.
    Cover the tires if in the sun,Dry rot can ruin a good set of rubber.
    I have seen guys block up their trucks when in storage,I never have because I would take them around the yard to keep the brakes and everything free during the off season.Kind of like riding my sled around the yard in the summer.lol
    Just some stuff I used to do to my seasonal equipment.

3. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Don't tarp it whatever you do. All that dose is trap moisture, and it will rust twice as fast. I don't know about the moth balls inside the cab either. They stink to high he!! and that smell never comes out.

4. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

keeping the mice out

Put the moth balls in. They will keep the mice out. In the fall put fresh coffee grounds in the cab and the moth ball odor will go away in a couple of days. I do this to my combine and it works well. They old timers say hedge apples do the same thing.