1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Motel parking lot quote

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by packey, Oct 24, 2007.

1. packey

packey Member

I was asked this evening to put in a bid for the local motel. they have 80000 sq of parking lot. this is parking on all four sides of the building. There are no center islands or parking stops. there is also 900 linear foot of sidewalk to be cleaned and treated with ice melt. and 6 doors to enter and exit the facility. I need to figure a per push price. and a seasonal price. our average snow fall for Nov 12 inch, Dec 12 inch, Jan 17 inch, Feb 14 inch and march 12 inch so I guess you would average 20-24 pushes a season. If anyone can help I need it

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Remember when you do motel/hotel you have to come back usually after 10:00am for cleanups from the cars that left .

3. packey

packey Member

Thanks for the heads up on needing to go back. Does anyone have an idea on how to price

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I will assume you have gold plated plows.

$10,000.oo a sq. foot.

You should make a profit.

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i will take a stab at it but i will probably catch some B/S (AIN'T THAT RIGHT SNOPOWER) i would guess since it's a straight forward deal that $300-400 and the walks maybe a couple of hundered buck's but i charge"$.65per foot" per year incl salt

6. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I have no problem with your pricing on this guys job, and I dont have a problem with your .65 per foot price for walks either. It's reasonable. But you never mentioned that the .65 per foot was per year until a couple days later. I wasn't the only one scratching his head.

Take a chill pill.

7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i know snopower but (AIN'T THAT RIGHT SNOPWER)is my new catch phraseLOL

na i'm just bustin you'r chops i just figured you'd do the same instead of whiningLOL O.K. i'll quit picken on you and puttin (AIN'T THAT RIGHT SNOPWER) in all of my post

8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

With that much snow each month, you should get a lot more visits than 20-24 per season. On my commericals with foot trafic I start with a 0-1" coverage, wheather it be sand/salt or plowing, for xxx amount of dollars. This covers the storms where we only get a dusting or small amount that still makes it slipery to walk or drive and helps protect you from slip and falls. Our normal snow fall is 40" + per season. Last year was a light year and I still got 19 visits at the Postoffice, of which 5 were for 0-1" coverage. I over looked this problem in my first year and spent some time covering my butt at no charge to the customer. During regular storms I try to plow my commericals at 2-3" per push depending on time of storm and type of storm. Good luck with your bid...
    Gene

9. packey

packey Member

Hey thanks for all of your help with the motel. I wrote things up this afternoon and handed it to the owners and was told I was way over priced. I bid 125 on the sidewalks and 200 on the lot. Man what do you do when the oldtimes are the low Bidder. I guess I will stick to all those wanting fancy insurance coverage because it seems those are the only ones I can compete on. You know what is bad is we are one of the more expensive areas to live. How do these oldtimers make it at the prices they are chargeing. For example I bid a double car drive today at 30 dollars per time the owner looked at me and said but I only paid 15 last year. What blows my mind they were being honest about it. I asked a couple of other guys who plow and they are charging 20 dollars per time for that same drive. Well I can say this I walked away from both people I cant afford to clear snow for free.

10. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Stick to your guns. You may be one of the highest priced but you will get some accounts anyway. Just remember to give them excellent service and you will have them as long as you want them. I started out 4 yrs ago and I am pricey, and I still have the same customer I started with and I have all the work I need/want. Good Luck!