1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Most useful peice of "non typical" snow equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dstifel, Sep 23, 2015.

1. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

What is your most useful peice of equipment other then a truck skid loader etc.
    Obviously snow blowers are great but does anyone have anything that not everyone uses? Not looking for anything special just decided might be fun to see what people say.

2. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

backpack blowers for the right storm

salter died used paddlewheel blower in the back of the pickup

5 gallon bucket with a seatbelt popriveted to it so you can wear it across your shoulder) and a specially cut antifreeze jug works better than a spreader

all i can think of right now

3. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

power sweeper on a 420 backhoe. great for driveways. I own a 72 unit apartment complex all units have driveways . We can do all 72 in about 45 minutes.

4. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I have a secret weapon attachment that goes on my lull forklift for cleaning snow off the tops of tractor trailers. It makes really good money days after the storm is over.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Lets see picture
    When you say 420 you mean what

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Kegerator.

7. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

What's your keg of choice?

8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Had a Bully Pro Grade Floor Scraper in my shed last year that works great for scraping up compressed snow and ice. It's good for moving dense or wet snow too - better than a shovel. I don't remember when or why I bought it, but I googled it and it was evidently from Home Depot.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Partially empty......

10. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Haha knew an answer like that was coming I was think "a cold one" would probably be your answer

11. Yardlines guy

Yardlines guy Junior Member

Stihl BR600. Way better than a shovel for 1-2 inches

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Try the better version redmax 8500

13. Yardlines guy

I've always been a dedicated Stihl person but I heard that blower was better??

14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Won't say better stronger yes but they only last 2 years before they need a new piston and ring

15. Yardlines guy

Good to know. What's the cost compared to the Stihl?

16. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I pay $479 from my local dealer most places are $509-$550
    I run redmax and use their oil and use 92 octane gas and they just run so hard 2 year and it's time to freshen them up kinda like 2 stroke dirt bikes

17. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I saw a contractor using a beer cooler with wheels to carry salt not calcium on walks at an apartment complex

18. EPM

EPM Member

Feed pail (like you would feed chickens with) for smaller walkways that it isn't worth getting the walk behind spreader out for. Wrap one arm around it at your chest and spread with the backs your finger tips with the opposite hand like your feeding chickens.
    Get a lot of funny looks but it saves a lot of time.

19. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

My secret weapon for clearing sidewalks.

And he takes his pay in Prune juice.

Grandpas snowplow.jpg

20. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I am continuously saving 59 oz and bigger orange juice / milk containers. I rinse them out with water and let them dry. I then fill these containers up with salt / snow melt. When I am out snow plowing, I have several crates in the back of my pick up truck filled with these containers. This is better than using a coffee can because the snow melt stays dry. This saves time because I am not always reloading the coffee can to spread salt.