1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

most reliable strobe unit

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wiseguyslawn, Nov 4, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn Senior Member

whats everyones opinion on this. if getting 6 bulbs where do they all go I thought 4 would be sufficient.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Ru asking about the 4 ways corner strobes ..?
    Or just brand favorites..?

3. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn Senior Member

i see that whelen is the best name but there is the option of 4 bulbs or 6 bulbs not seeing how the 6 bulb set up would work

4. sherwin

sherwin Member

Here's my take. We have 2 trucks decked out in LED light bars and rear/side markers. We also have 3 with 2 bulb halogens and the rear/side LED's. The LED light bars are nice if someone is in your line of sight, but thats about it. The halogens bounce off snow, buildings, you name it. People know something is going on before they see you. Our skidloaders have single halogens and the same thing. All I get out of more lights is more of a headache from all the flashing. I think 2 is fine let alone 4 or 6. We have both whelen and PSE and they both are good solid lights for what we do. Save some money to get some side and rear LED's for extra measure.

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I have an 02 chevy 2500 hd cc/sb. I run a whelen 90 watt power supply with 6 heads, one in each daytime running light lens, one in each high beam, and one in each amber turn signal lens in the rear. The 2 in the daytime running lights are blue , i use them for the fire dept. Those 2 are switched separately off the same unit. I have run the whelen since '02 and have had no problems at all.

6. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

Greetings All,

Whelen makes a good quality strobe unit. BUT they are expensive. They have had problems in the past with wiring burning out. I would shop around and REALLY look at some of the led bars. More money - but far better lighting and almost no draw on the battery's. Check out A&W direct. They have a great selection.

7. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

I did installs at a big name company in the area for a while that installed many brands and a wide varieties of clients. Over all I would say hands down if I had the money to spend I would go with Whelen. However like most have already said they are expensive! Remember you get what you pay for!

If your going with six then (staying within your local regs) two in the front turn lights/marker (vehicle depending) and four in the rear. The rear strobes would be installed in both say the back up lights and the brake lights (once again vehicle depending) and make sure you plug them in to offset the flash pattern. It will look sharp! If you don't want white just get a tinted amber strobe head. One other tip, Do not short your self on a lower wattage power supply. For a 6 outlet go with a 90 watt PS.

Strobesnmore.com is usually cheap and ship quickly!