1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Most reliable, longest lasting salt spreader.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bcbrouwer, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

Most reliable, longest lasting salt spreader: Fisher or Meyer?

Not sure this thread belongs here, but here it is anyway. I 'may' be purchasing a 4-5 yard salter in the future. I have narrowed it down to 2 brands which dealers are close to me for parts etc.

1) Fisher pro-caster (its a bit small, but rounded yards claimed is 4.1)

2) Meyer MDV 4.5 cubic yard s.s spreader. Side extensions add about 2 yards as well (6.5).

Im sure there are others, I may not be able to get parts close by for them, but what other manufactures make a durable and functional spreader?

out of these 2, pretend price has no effect (which it does, I just want to know what is the better spreader money aside) which would be the best to use for commercial lots and years of service? I will probably go with a drag chain as well.

Thanks for any replies and help!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

I grew up using fisher plows and spreaders (east coast) and really wish there was some better dealers in Kansas. The dealer support is key though so pick your brand and your dealer. It really sucks when the dealer you like does not carry the product you want.
  3. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

They all suck...Salt destroy's everything...its all up to the maintenance...wash it out as much as possible and keeo everything greased...
  4. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Have you looked at Monroe, Swenson, Bonell, Downeaster. As far as parts go for these and getting them. If its Engine related I'm sure any dealer that sells that brand of engine can get you parts. If you need a drag chain I wouldn't go to the dealer they will hose you on price. A industrial shop would be better. Not much too these other then bearings chains gears etc.
  5. Grassman09

I've heard the opposite. Washing them all the time makes the chain rust faster. Best off to just brush off the salt and oil the chain frequently. Then thoroughly clean chain at end if season and oil it.
  6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Don't forget the fluid film!
  7. Grassman09

Nop didn't forget.

8. daniel1

daniel1 Junior Member

Just a couple things on parts availability and a suggestion on brand. After years of having to wait for dealers/parts suppliers to open and then take time out to pick up needed items, I stock every part that has the capability to prevent me from spreading if it breaks or malfunctions. It's the best change I've made to our winter program and great piece of mind. I figure if I'm spending $8,000 on a spreader the $750 on vulnerable parts is worth it. That is why I wouldn't let location of a dealer/parts supplier affect your purchase. If your willing to spend a large amount for reliability and years of service, Epoke is the way to go. I'm talking serious money though, so Fisher or Meyer are probably more in line and I'm sure will offer years of service given proper maintenance. Having master links on hand for drag chains is a great idea. Relays are good to have also.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I know of one contractor having MAJOR issues with a MDV. He's active on the site maybe he'll chime in.

As for washing the unit if it is heavily coated with Fluid Film than there really isn't anything corroding to wash away. We clean, rinse with salt-A-way then coat with Fluid Film.
  10. Grassman09

You must be talking small 2 yard spreaders. Wont get much for $750 on a big spreader.

Are you talking about the Electric MDVs I heard of a few issues on here?

Have you tried any of that Rhomar Industries stuff? Looks good but they want a kidney and or left leg for the stuff.
  11. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

We run henderson spreaders. I recommend spending the extra money on stainless clutch chains, as far as the conveyor, whether you wash it out or not plan on eating one every few years.
  12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Grassman, Swenson makes the Meyer MDV. So he can check, but it's the same spreader.

As for the MDV, the jury is out. DO NOT under ANY circumstances purchase the one with the auger. IMO and experience. Not just because they took mine back, either. But it will not spread enough salt under ALL conditions. When mine worked, it worked great for a half inch at 30* and no snow in the forecast. 10*, snow coming at an inch an hour, it would never put down enough salt to keep me happy.

The conveyor chain replacement is mulch better, with the adjustable gate. If I can get the spinner to actually distribute the salt wider than the truck, all will be great.

Hadn't seen this one before basher. Here now.
  13. Grassman09

Sorry I was confused. I was thinking this unit had issues
  14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

From what I was told by the great folks at ESI, those have been problem free.
  15. Grassman09

dbl post.......
  16. Grassman09

They look nice.. And expensive.
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

quality and cheap are not synonymouspayup
  18. Grassman09

LOL ture. Its a rarity. Any idea how much that baby starts at?
  19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Go with an undertailgate ss swenson, few moving parts,can carry whatever your truck can. Why spend big bucks on a hopper when you have a dump? I paid 4300 for mine.
  20. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

I just got a new Tornado and I think it is the best thing in the world. I don't know if they make something that big but I guess they would. and the price was great. I have ran 10 ton with it in 2 days and I love it. I have a question, What is fluid film?