1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Most Popular Heavy Duty Municipal/Plow Chassis

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johnb, May 9, 2008.

1. johnb

johnb Junior Member

What is the opinion of what the most popular plow/multipurpose chassis would be used in a commercial or municpal setting?:confused:
  2. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

We have a few Mack, sterling,and Internationals, I like the Internationals the best
  3. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

Get the elp bodies and you can change from a dump , to a hopper or 5 wheel or water tank in 10 min. these are the way to go.
  4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

the company i work for and plow as a sub for just picked up a late 70's international dully dump for municaple plowing for next year....$3500 low miles and came with a saltspreader...panted the same color as the trucks they run....it runs good and drives nice
  5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Our muni. runs all Internationals. Good truck for the money and doesn't cost an arm and leg to maintain.
  6. johnb

johnb Junior Member

Truck Chassis

What series (new) of international seems to be the most often used.
  7. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

international or peterbuilt.
    as for the model. it depends on what your looking for.
  8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Our newest is the 7400 series.
    And it's been to the dealer more in the last 2 years than the other 5 4900's combined:realmad:
  9. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The city here runs all International, gotta be atleast 20 trucks, 4700,4900 & 2674, I've also noticed the D.O.T uses mainly Intrnational's 2574 as well as the odd Ford L8000 & 9000.
  10. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

My Muni runs GMC 8500's. The NJ highway deptartments GSP and Turnpike Roll with International
  11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

tooo bad we dont get to use em:realmad:
  12. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Local township runs newer GM 4500 and 5500 dump trucks with either Diamond or Boss plows. Next township over runs mainly Ford 550 dumps and Internationals with all Diamond plows.
  13. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

They run some small trucks!...lol
  14. johnb

johnb Junior Member

Most Popular Bodies

Thanks for the input everyone!

In regards to the international 7000 series chassis, is the 4 door cab becoming more popular?

Also what is the most popular dump body used?
  15. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

We are running.....

Our trucks; two Internationals and a GMC ,all 4x4's.
    All the trucks have been on 100 hour oil and filter changes since new.All have regular PM also...
    Our 2000 4000 series with DT is all but worn out at 50,000 miles(using a quart of oil an hour).The steering box and front and rear engine seals are leaking also..
    Our 2004 7000 series with the DT has had three radiators and two turbos under warr along with the control box under the floor, all this with 21,000 miles on it.The rear main seal just started leaking also(Still under warr)...
    Our 2006 GMC 5500 has had two rear ends and the isolator box under the pass side replaced under warr so far....That had 9,900 miles on it the last time it was in the shop....
    Needless to say we are not happy with the service we are getting from the above trucks...We spec ed out a new Paystar 4x4 which will be here in July....
    For the $200,000 price tag we are hoping that it will service us better than the above trucks.
    As far as bodies the three older trucks have Flo and Dumps on them.All combination bodies,very heavy when empty....
    On the new truck we are trying a Tenco combination body(Time will tell)....
  16. Oshkosh

Update,new truck is here....

This is the newest truck.
    Keeping our fingers crossed...

Paystar 001.jpg
  17. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

cant wait to see her all ready to go, thats allot of truck!
  18. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Oshkosh cant wait to see the set-up on that, please post pics when they are done!:waving:

Thanks, Tim
  19. Oshkosh

I'll post new photos as we progress..

We are excited,hoping this will be better than the medium duty units that the Town has been running in the past.
    I guess if this doesn't work out our only option would be an Oshkosh.
    The sad thing is that we contacted our local Oshkosh rep (H.P Fairfield) three times and after four months we never received a return call about specing out a truck.
    The local International dealer was beating down our door to help us set up our truck ...
    Till this day we don't know what a new Oshkosh would have cost us....That is part of the reason we didn't go with H.P Fairfield on up fitting this truck.....Thats one $60,000 up fitting they wont sell this season.....
    We are supposed to setup another new truck this spring,maybe we will get better service then.Then again maybe they dont need us...

Paystar 003.jpg
  20. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I will get some pics of my local twp trucks, they are pretty cool looking!:gunsfiring: