1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Most likely to go wrong while plowing....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Oct 25, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

As I am spending $1500+ this week to have both my trucks overhauled for winter (tran flush, rad flush, gear lube, minor repairs - sway bar bushings pinion seals) Next week I'll be getting my plows tuned-up, unfortunately I don't know ANYTHING about them so I'll most likey be paying out the @ss for someone to do it =(

Anyway... with all this preventative maintenance, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG WITH YOUR TRUCK/PLOW? No far-fetched responses please What are the best ways to prepare or overcome the problem?
  2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

U-Joints on the driveshafts and, Front axel U-joints
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last year - first place at 5:30AM - half way through - driver's side wiper motor goes out.:angry: Went the next couple hours driving from the middle of the seat.

The point is - just do what you can think of. You can't plan for everything.
  4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Learn something about your plows and pumps. The easiest place to go is Central Parts Warehouse at www.central parts.com. You can see an exploded diagram of your plow. Also look into an emergency kit for your plow. CPW sells them. Good luck, you are ahead of alot of people by running two bigger (3/4 ton +)rigs.
  5. alamarc

alamarc Member

Every couple of storms or so re- torque your lugs on your tires. They tend to back themselves off with the vibrations.

I also agree with the previous post. Get an e-kit. You never know when a chain will pop or the hydralic goes. I have no experience with boss plows but i have heard that when the hydralics go they have a pin that you put in to keep the blade locked up. I would make sure you know where it is at all times. It would not be cool to drive home with the blade down.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't wait that long. Last winter I had the tires changed on my 3500 dually. Within the next 100 miles, both left rear wheels came off while I was going down the road with a full load of sand in the Vbox. No wrecker would come for a plow truck with a sander on it. Had to get a local construction company out with a front end loader to unload the Vbox and then pull the plow and box off so we could pull them to my place then I could get a wrecker out and haul the truck to the mechanic.

I now have a breaker bar and socket dedicated to that truck. The lugs are checked before every trip.
  7. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

wow that must have been a hell of a ride:dizzy:
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Also been there and done that.

What could go wrong? everything or anything. New F350 DRW 4x4 last year. less then 50 miles and hit a rock someone had drug out of a landscape into the parking lot. blew the right front tire @ 3:am. no spair due to new style rims on 04's. had to remove on of the duels and use it up front till next day. any thing can go wrong, Depends on our luck that day.
  9. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

Pop's Good ol' E-kit

My Dad's Plowing E-Kit
    -Toilet Paper
    -Tranny Fluid
    -Propane Torch
    -DUCT TAPE!!!!!
    -mechanic's tool set
    -Bungy Cords
    -Spare Tire
    -at least one 4-pack of each kind of battery
    -extra gloves and hats...

All of the stuff besides the spare which we just put in the back of one truck...goes into a 32 gallon plastic bin with a lid held down with some bungee cords keeps every dry and keeps the crap out of the cab which is always good...
  10. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Flat tire (make sure you have full size spares, sometimes this is over looked mainly with smaller trucks)

As someone said plow repair kit... 2am you will have to figure it out on your own, know your plows... At least have extra pins, hoses, washers, bolts aren't a bad idea.

Carry a light, flash light, spot light, ect...

Some extras for the truck might be, rubber trans line for repair and rad. hoses... Never know, cheep insurance if one leaks or breaks. Don't forget some fluid too.

There are to many things to go wrong, cant prepare for them all but its always nice to know you can fix and are prepared for a few things.

Don't for get tools, extra fuses just to name a few.....
  11. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Spare hoses for the plow? Maybe one spare angle cylinder? A spare plow solenoid for the fenderwell? Tow strap or chains? Extra wiper blades? A plumber's torch to thaw padlocks to businesses you plow or fittings that are broken on the plow? Never know when it comes to snow, but I think there are a few things everyone should have. Wait a minute, just about forgot about extra gloves, extra socks, cell phone chargers, one container of each fluid the truck uses, maybe a few quarts of tranny fluid or oil. You will never have what you need if you breakdown it seems. Do your preventive maintenance and roll with the punches when the snow is flying! Good luck!