1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Most efficient residential plowing rig?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by born2farm, Jan 12, 2009.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

In your guys opinion what would be the most efficient rig for say 25 city residentials all within 5 miles of each other? I have sat down and thought hard about putting a plow on my truck but I have been thinking that with a 50in plow and salt spreader on my quad or maybe a gator or other UTV would be the way to go. Not sure?
  2. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

I've used an ATV with a plow before and it sucked. The thing was only a 600cc and was very light. if there was any big drifts it would just get stuck. I got so frusterated with that after a few large snow events i decided i'm done with it. i have a deere tractor with a 42" snowblower on the front and it is awesome for residentials. It will move even deep drifts with ease and it very maneuverable. The only issue i had with that is it's too long ot get into the bed of my truck, so I would have to haul a trailer. i have a blizzard 810 on my truck now and it's great for residentials. Its also very good on larger commercial lots too because it expands to 10' or you can have wings. I'm very happy with the plow being on my truck because i stay warmer too, and its all 1 self-contained unit now.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Whatever it is, I would go as short as possible, with a front and rear blade. Jeep Wrangler or reg cab short bed pickup if you need to hold stuff in back.

How would you get the quad/gator around? Trailor it? Lots of extra time loading and unloading.
  4. An ATV for 25 driveways? No way man. You should use a TRUCK and do it the proper way. You'll be much more comfortable in a warm cab when its snowing or raining with 30mph winds. lol

I'm using the green dodge in my signature below but its a little big. Next year I am switching to a Jeep or Dakota regular cap short box for residential.
  5. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I would do 25 driveways with a atv....if I lived in florida. You need a truck. A jeep would be great for residential.
  6. born2farm

So it sounds like I should just put a plow on my truck. I figure my truck would be great since its a regular cab short bed but the only downfall is the standard tranny.
  7. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I would say my Jeep TJ (Rubicon) is the ultimate Residential machine...I would like a heavier duty transmission but other than that I haven't seen anything better...I use a Meyers Poly plow and would like to switch to a Sno-way but they are not popular here and I wouldn't want to deal with fixing it.
  8. I think you should go out and buy something in automatic. I'll bet you'll burn through clutches like crazy in a manual truck doing residential because the gear changing will be way too often.

Any idea what kind of revenue these 25 driveways will be bringing in? You might be better off investing in a used pickup with a plow. If your not doing it till next year you can get some damn good deals in the summer on trucks with plows on them.
  9. born2farm

That probably sounds like the best idea. I would like to get a one ton dump so I could handle some small commercials as well.

I will be making roughly $25 a push on all driveways. some will be $30
  10. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I've talked about this with a buddy of mine for ultimate driveway rig......as my truck is 20' long or so (not counting the plow).

Either a beefed up Jeep or a custom Reg Cab, Short Bed Ford Super Duty would be my choices.
  11. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

12. turfman15

turfman15 Senior Member

13. born2farm

Thanks guys. Here is what my goal is to have up and running next year hopefully.

I am going to keep the quad and have it running a very tight route of 15-20 residentials. I will have to hire someone to run the quad.

I will then purchase a one ton dump truck to do any call ins that are to far for the quad and to handle any commercial work I pick up. This will keep the miles and wear and tear off my personal truck plus give me a truck to letter up and set up just for work.

Let me know your guys opinons.
  14. You already got mine and a lot of other guys opinions. An ATV for 20 residential properties is ********. Your going to hire a guy for it? You couldn't pay me enough money to sit on a quad for 8 hours in a snow storm plowing snow.

What is the legal side of it there too? Here if caught on a road or sidewalk with a squad the cops will nail you at every corner. Your putting your (or employee) life at risk driving one of those dinkys on the snow covered roads with cars, trucks and real plow drivers. On the sidewalk your risking other people.

If you plan on towing it around on a trailer good luck with that. Your going to find it will take you way too long to do that many residential driveways when having to load and unload it from the trailer.

Man-up and get a real truck with a plow on it...
  15. terraventure

terraventure Member

how close are th driveways? If they are right next to one another a small skid with two speed would work great. Just remeber it will need to beregistered and insured to drive on the street. It they are any distance apart then a regualr cab pickup. I would opt out of a back blade simply because they are two long. I have been plowing for a while and I can do just about anything with my f550 dump with 9' blade. The turning radius is better than most pickups.
  16. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I take it, that it's a 05-09 F-550?

I agree that the wide Super 60 front axle on the 05+ 450s/550s turns amazingly well....99-04, not so much :D
  17. sp6x6

sp6x6 Member

Landscapers in my area would use a toolcat , bobcat 18mph, high flow, single boom, snow pusher,blade,blower whatever floats your boat
  18. nekos

nekos Senior Member

the only problem with jeeps is they don't have much weight to them and in big storms they won't push ( or in this case back drag ) the snow as easy as a bigger truck.

that being said , if i was doing drive ways again i would be in a jeep.
  19. sp6x6

sp6x6 Member

friend of mine has a jeep for his small stuff, it is great and gets in tight, Get a rubicon with lockers. I have a built 05 Unlimited, it would be a sin to put a blade on it
  20. grapeford

grapeford Junior Member

If I had my wish list for driveways, I would have a Chevy (1) ton, 6 ft bed, Duramax diesel, 8.0 ' fisher MMII, and some sick snow tires. Unfortunately, you can't have a dedicated plow truck and not be able to utilize it the rest of the season. I run an 05 Chevy 1 ton dump, Duramax, 8ft MMII plow. I couldn't be happier.