1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Most Durable Plow over time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CNYScapes, Jan 28, 2004.

What is the most durable commercial plow on the market?

1. Fisher Plows

68 vote(s)
  2. Western Plows

47 vote(s)
  3. Diamond Plows

5 vote(s)
  4. Meyer Plows

21 vote(s)
  1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

I have been plowing since 1994 and have used several different brands of plows. From what I have seen I think Fisher Plows are the most durable commercial plow on the market. What do you guys think?
  2. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

3. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have to agree, Fisher plows are the most durable plow on the market today....:nod:
  4. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

i think it's hard to make an accurate call on this. everone is going to start bashing each manufacturer as to whom is best. you need to have owned each brand and that doesnt take into account "lemon" plows, or the fact that people only run one brand regaurdless. then there are the guys that wouldnt fess up to buying a crappy plow anyway. For me its brand loyalty. My dad always bought Chevy's, so i to, will always buy Chevy's (ok GMC, lol). I have only owned 1 plow, so I wont bash a Fisher or pretend I know anything about them or any other brand, there is plenty of other people here to give opinions on product they dont know about. For me Boss has done the trick and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. ;)

MATITUDE Junior Member

I to have to agree that the boss plows are very good. We own 3 fisher plows on large dump trucks and after about 2-3 years use they seemed to have problems. Plan on replacing at least 2 of them next year with boss plows.
  6. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Maybe I should have also put Boss Snowplows on the poll, I didnt think of them they're just not that popular around here.
  7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

boss blows:D :D most new plows around here are boss plows.
  8. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I have a Boss and a Fisher and prefer the Boss. :waving:
  9. Hellbent.HD

Hellbent.HD Member

I have only had Fisher's. My dad had both fisher and Western, and friends have had Both of these and Meyer's as well.
    My old Fisher was on my '73 chevy. It was a '77 plow, and i used it up until 2000 without any major problems at all.
    It had just started to rust through a little at the top of the mold board .
    I still think Fisher has a very structurally sound design.

I personally havn't had any experience with Boss plows, so i don't know much about them.

But, thats just my oppinion. I'm sure they all have their good and bad points.

10. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

Ive always had fishers with good luck. Last season we bought a boss 8.5 vee trip blade design. The plow worked well but while driving down the road and crossing railroad tracks the cutting edge shattered when it hit the ground. (normal speed of travel).

We replaced it and a week later we hit a man hole cover that when the tempature is cold enough sticks up in a parking lot just a bit. Agian the cutting edge shattered. We had hit that a dozen times with the fishers without incident.

This spring I noticed the angle ram mounts were starting to protrude on the front of the blade. Sold it this summer and replaced with an 8' Fisher.

Ive also tried all three truck manufactures. I grew up on GM so I was partial to them but have by far had the best performance and least breakdowns with a Ram Diesel. I'll be ordering a second one this spring and selling the GM. Anyone intrested in a Chevy 2001 2500HD 6.0 with reading utility body 8' fisher 37,000 Miles. I'd take 19K.
  11. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

I will ad the boss was much easier to get on and off the truck than any of our Fishers
  12. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

13. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I Got 10 hard NY winters from a cable operated 7-6 Western
    with very few problems...........
    Sold it to my bud and hes had it 3 NY winters.

Now have a 7-6 Western std. ultra now on its 3rd NY
    winter and not a hickup yet!............lol..........geo

I only WISH my pickup trucks would LAST as long !!!!!!!
  15. GPB

GPB Member

I've had real good luck with Westerns. Being in the homebuilding industry, 3/4ths of our plowing is construction jobsites. If any of you have plowed a jobsite after its been backfilled with frozen chunks of dirt, you'll know just how brutally hard they are on both plow and truck. They'll make a rutted up driveway look like a walk in the park. Been running Westerns for years and never had a problem with them.
  16. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

We have been in business for over 35 years and used many different plows and IMO you just can't get any better than Fisher.
  17. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Execept for the rusting box section on the older plows, Boss all the way!
  18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i see the meyers didnt fair well,oh well they have been most widely use sine the 20s and we used them for a long time

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Fisher and only Fisher!
  20. Erickson

Erickson Junior Member

I'm new to plowing (and this site, great one by the way) and had seriously looked at the Fisher. I like its heavy duty construction and simple design. But I got a used Blizzard 810 that has hydraulic wings. It goes from 8 to 10'. The wings will also go forward about 20-30 degrees, making a scoop effect. Just having started plowing this winter, it is a pretty good machine. It is a "drive in" hookup so it is pretty painless as far as that goes. There are more things to go wrong (7 hydraulic cylinders total) but all in all it is well designed and I can fix it if need be.
    Beyond a well built plow an important thing to remember (its been said before) is to have parts available. You really need a dealer handy to fix it fast when it comes to that. If I had to give up the Blizzard I would probably get a Fisher. :D :D Chris