1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

most damage ever done(accidently) while plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by paul soccodato, Nov 11, 2002.

1. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

just to start up a new topic
    what is the most damage (to a customers property)you guys ever did while cleaning snow(accidently of course).not being a yahoo! you always try to be carefull, go slow, etc...., but sometimes it just happens.
    for me, when i first started plowing i was cleaning a driveway, pushing the snow towards the garages then turning off to stack it on the side of the building.i was about 10 feet away when i saw the garage door buckle and fall off. the snow had moved in one big chunk pushed the door over. cost me a bit to repair it.
    just wanted to hear some horror stories.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2002
  2. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

O.K. - Since no one else will fess up I will. Well the funnyest damage story belongs to my brother!

My brother has plowed for me since I started my buisness. He is the most reliable person when it comes to plowing, I can always count on him to be there when I need him. However, he has severe snowplowing tendencys.

1.) When he plows, he seems to get angry at everyone else who is plowing with him. Nobody else is ever plowing the right way.

2.) Even though he has plowed for me, going on 9 years now. He always forgets what properties we are sopposed to plow and where they are located. (Even with the job book in hand, he still seems to have a hard time.)

Well to make a long story short, he and a shoveler were plowing a residential route that he had done for the last 5 years. There had been no changes made from the previous year, with regards to new customers on this route. The only difference was, I had given the shoveler instructions to help all drivers with directions and plowing instructions. My brother came accross two houses that we plow that are next to each other. One was a straight driveway and one was a large circular driveway.

He plows the circular driveway with no proplems and moves to the neighbors house. Picture the scene: the lot is 200 by 300 and there is 10" of snow on the ground. My brother askes the shoveler what type of driveway it is, and the shoveler replies, a circular driveway. The shoveler made the mistake of not flipping the driver route form, and my brother can't remember the shape of driveway(Even though there are 10 markers showing the perimeters of the driveway & the fact that he has plowed this same driveway for 5 years.)

Well he aims the truck straight towards the garage door at about 10 miles per hour and makes a quick right about 50 feet before the house. While making the turn he hits five evergreen bushes(about 3 feet tall), one ceramic turtle, and cuts a 8' x 50' x 3" hole in the ground before he realizes that this must not be a circular driveway.

You should have heard the verbal assault that was going on after our work was complete. Now I can look back and laugh, but when it happened I was preaty po'd.

Note worth mentioning; when my brother backed up out of the driveway, just after he distroyed the lawn, he ran into the customers light post and ran it over!

He had a rough nite. CGB
  3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Did the evergreens survive? HAHAHAHA :drinkup: :D Good story, keep em coming! Mike
  4. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Well................................ it was a 4-6" plow, about 6:30am., a small commercial lot that I serviced about 4 years ago. The property owner walks out to my truck and asks me if I can plow the area that his car was parked in..............I said of course!

He starts his Infiniti j30, and moves out of the area for me to work in but stays in the car, waiting for me to finish the plow so he can reclaim his soon to be "clear" parking stall.

Just as I agreed to plow the area his car was parked in, my cell phone rang with a very important snow customer/property manager(another site) that had issues that must be handled right then and there.

So, being the "time maximizer" that I try to be?????, I proceed talking to the somewhat upset property manager on my cell phone, while plowing the remainder of the snow covered lot. Not to mention that I talk with my hands, but as I backed up near the "idling" Infiniti, I assumed he would have seen me backing and also backed up to give me more space to work with.................HE DID NOT MOVE!

I hit his front end of the car, while still trying to satisfy the "articulate" property manager on the cell phone. I was so embarassed and pissed off....... at myself! Nevertheless, the Infiniti owner stood outside of my drivers side window awaiting me to complete my "more important call" and hear my dumb a$$ excuse for hitting his car.

From that time on, I do not plow snow while talking on the cell phone....................I only have two hands!

5. paul soccodato

thats a tough one! ouch
  6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Great stories... :)

Worst damage I ever did was to a building.

It's an L shaped lot with a steep slope down into it. You have to plow the top of the slope going uphill because the plow won't touch the pavement at the top of the hill if you're facing downhill.

It was the last place I was doing at the end of about an 18 hour run. I was kind of anxious to be done (read "in a hurry"). I made my last pass up the hill and was backing down it with the intention turning to my right and backing into the "base" of the L. Only mistake I made was making my turn about 25 feet too soon. (Looking into my driver's side mirror and turning toward the passenger side.) :eek:

It's a concrete block building (corduroy block) and I caught two of the blocks with the rear bumper. Fortunately it was just the right height that I only hit one course of block. A couple inches lower or higher and I'd have had to replace four blocks instead of just two. He didn't make me fix the drywall inside, even though I offered.

Worst part (aside from having to tell the customer), (and having to go back and fix the building), (and the damage to the truck),was when all the stuff that normally rides on my dashboard came flying at me. It woke me up for the drive home though...
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ouch(es). When people ask why they need insurance, they should get linked to this thread.
  8. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I accidently slid into a customer's garage door. He claimed it went up and down better after I hit it. It was an old garage so I got away with one. ;)
  9. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I was 16 my father asked me to go plow a new customer of His. He told me, "Push it way back off of the lot a ways to leave room for more of the snow we have coming"....

I went out and plowed the lot 5" or 6 " of snow. I thought that this one pile that was already there was too close to the lot so I should move it..... I put the plow to it and pushed but went no where..... Hmmm must be frozen.... Guess I will have to hit it harder. So I backed up and really wacked it a good one.

It only took 12 hours of welding to put that plow back together.... :eek:

.... How was I to know thats where the flower bed was????:eek:
  10. likestoshovel

likestoshovel Junior Member

I used to shovel for a company that had a bank chain as one of its customers.
    Every now and then I saw the guy who ran the bank at one of the branches. We usually exchanged greetings or talked for a couple minutes.

One morning as I was shoveling the employee entrance the big honcho came out for some fresh air. We talked as I shoveled and then I headed off to continue work. When I got in my truck and started to back up I noticed that I had dried toothpaste running from the side of my mouth and down my chin. I must have spat my toothpaste out carelessly when I rushed out for work in at four in the morning. Man I felt stupid - I looked like I had had some epileptic attack or rabies. And worst of all, it was already 9am and a bunch of other people must have seen me. oh well.
  11. paul soccodato

i know its happend to everbody at least once, you get a call for a new driveway, start pushing and realize somethings wrong. so you get out to take a look and realize the driveway's gravel.
  12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hahahaha, these stories are great guys. I laughed like hell after reading ceamans story. Keep em coming if you have more! SDlawndawg, yours was funny too! Mike :)
  13. copandplower

copandplower Member

That was hilarious......thanks 4 the laugh.
  14. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

One time backdragging a driveway at night I noticed the last 3 Christmas lights coming off the eavestrough. The owner had plugged them into an extension cord and left it on the driveway under the snow. It looked quite funny, and when I told the owner he laughed and said I had saved him from removing them. Luckily it was after Christmas and there was not to much damage.
  15. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Hands down the winner. My wife, my son and I could not stop laughing. LOL. :D

16. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Banzi - This is not uncommon, I thought this kind of thing only happend to me. I did not notice anything was wrong until I fueled up at the gas station and saw 15' of extension cord behind my truck.

17. paul soccodato

the extension cord bit has happend to me too. its just as common as getting the sunday new york times stuck in the snowthrower.
  18. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Snoworks- Now that is funny, it`s amazing what we don`t notice after 20 hrs of plowing. :p
  19. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Truely some good reading here:D
    Thank's fellas for the laffs.
    Just glad nobodys really tore too much up yet,
    Mark K
  20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The extension cord reminded me of last year. Our son lives in a house we have on the property so I'd plow his driveway. Where I piled the snow he'd run the cable for the TV. Yep - I got it. Twice.:eek: . This year we marked it.